Spirit Hire Darren Rumble as Assistant Coach
Saginaw, MI - The Saginaw Spirit have added to their coaching staff, announcing Saturday the hiring of Darren Rumble as an Assistant Coach.
"Darren brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to our staff after coaching for many years in different roles," said General Manager Dave Drinkill. "Chris Lazary and Ryan Kuwabara have done a fantastic job since the coaching change and we always said if the right person came along we would look to bring them onto the staff for the rest of the season. We felt that bringing Darren in at this time makes a lot of sense for the organization and we are looking forward to working with him."
Rumble, 49, is an OHL Alumnus, playing in three seasons with the Kitchener Rangers from 1986-1989. The Barrie, Ontario native was drafted by the Philadelphia Flyers in the first round, 20th overall in the 1987 NHL Entry Draft.
His professional hockey playing career, spanning 16 years, included 614 American Hockey League games, 193 games in the National Hockey League, 138 games in the International Hockey League, and a 21-game stint in the DEL (Germany).
In 1997, Rumble won the Eddie Shore Award, for best defenseman in the AHL, while playing Philadelphia Phantoms.
His NHL career included stops in Philadelphia (1990-92, 1995-97), Ottawa (1992-94), St. Louis (2000), and Tampa Bay (2002-04), where Rumble was a Stanley Cup Champion in 2004.
Rumble transitioned into coaching immediately following the conclusion of his playing career, becoming an Assistant Coach with the Springfield Falcons of the AHL during the 2004-05 season. Rumble received his first Head Coaching job four seasons later, hired by the Norfolk Admirals prior to the 2008-09 season.
Rumble has been coaching in the Canadian Hockey League since 2010 with stops in defunct Lewiston of the QMJHL, Seattle in the WHL, and most recently as Head Coach of the Moncton Wildcats in the QMJHL.
Internationally, Rumble has represented Hockey Canada as an Assistant Coach in the Hlinka Gretzky Cup (2015-16, 2016-17) and as a Head Coach at the IIHF World Junior Under-18 Hockey Championships (2016-17).
Rumble's first game behind the bench will be Saturday night when the Spirit host the Erie Otters at The Dow Event Center. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Lyszczarczyk's Hat-Trick Propels Trout to Second Consecutive W - Mississauga Steelheads
- Howdeshell Hat Trick Leads Greyhounds over the Colts - Barrie Colts
- Petes Find Offence against Sting to Snap Streak - Peterborough Petes
- Peterborough Unfriendly Hosts to Sting - Sarnia Sting
- Lyszczarczyk the Difference, Attack Fall 6-3 - Owen Sound Attack
- Six Different Scorers Propel Spirit to Victory over Otters - Saginaw Spirit
- Studnicka Scores Hat Trick in 7-2 Pink in the Rink Win over Firebirds - Niagara IceDogs
- Otters End Road Trip in Saginaw, Lose 6-2 - Erie Otters
- Bulldogs Battle the League Leading 67's to the End - Hamilton Bulldogs
- 67's Close out Perfect Weekend with 5-3 Win over Bulldogs - Ottawa 67's
- Preview: Firebirds Face Niagara in Front of Expected Sellout Crowd Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Spirit Hire Darren Rumble as Assistant Coach - Saginaw Spirit
- Spirit Host Otters, Honor Radio Personality Art Lewis Saturday Night at the Dow - Saginaw Spirit
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saginaw Spirit Stories
- Spirit Clinch OHL Playoff Berth After 6-1 Win over Owen Sound
- Spirit Extend Contract of Dave Drinkill Through 2020-21 Season
- Spirit Finish Season Series Perfect against Rival Firebirds
- Preview: Spirit Host Knights on Mental Health Awareness Night
- Spirit Conquer Conference-Leading Knights, 6-3