Pitching Powers Knights Past Stripers 2-1
(LAWRENCEVILLE, GA) - In a pitcher's duel throughout, the Charlotte Knights got the clutch hit they needed late in the game to beat the Gwinnett Stripers 2-1 in the opener of their three-game series on Tuesday night at Coolray Field.
In the second, the home team got on the board first as Travis Demeritte led off the frame with a triple off Knights starter Jordan Guerrero and came home to score on a ground out. But that would be all the Stripers could manage against the lefty.
Guerrero responded by striking out a pair in both the third and fourth innings to keep the deficit at 1-0. With a chance to double the lead in the sixth, the Stripers could not capitalize as Guerrero induced a fly out from Pedro Florimon to strand a runner of third to end his outing.
In his best start of the season, Guerrero gave up just the one run on six hits with one walk and four strikeouts over 6.0 innings. However, Gwinnett starter Bryse Wilson was equally sharp as the 1-0 Stripers lead stood until the seventh inning.
Daniel Palka led off the frame with a double to left. Two batters later, Matt Skole crushed Wilson's offering into the Charlotte bullpen in right field for a two-run homer, his team-leading 13th of the season, to propel the Knights in front 2-1.
The Charlotte bullpen made that stand up. Matt Tomshaw induced a double play in a scoreless seventh, and then struck out Andres Blanco to start the eighth. Carson Fulmer came in and quickly got the next two outs to keep the Knights in front after eight.
In the bottom of the ninth, Fulmer got two fly outs to start the frame, but back-to-back singles put the tying and winning runs on base. Fulmer rebounded to induce a ground out from Luis Marte to end the game and earn his first save of the season.
Offensively, Zack Collins recorded a pair of singles in the win while Skole's two-run homer proved to be decisive. On the mound, Guerrero (W, 2-4), Tomshaw, and Fulmer (S, 1) kept the Stripers from capitalizing when it mattered most, as the home team went 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position.
Charlotte and Gwinnett continue their three-game series from Coolray Field on Wednesday night. Colton Turner (2-1, 4.50) is scheduled to start for Charlotte. Pre-game radio coverage of the 7:05 p.m. game is set for 6:50 p.m. on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad will have the call for all of the action.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 21, 2019
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Offense leads charge in win over Mets - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Logan Morrison goes 3-for-5 with two homers and a double in losing effort - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Holt, HernÃ¡ndez Help Key PawSox Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Hens out Hit Clippers in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Skole's Two-Run Homer Lifts Knights over Stripers, 2-1 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mets Lose Series Opener to IronPigs, 9-3 - Syracuse Mets
- Pitching Powers Knights Past Stripers 2-1 - Charlotte Knights
- Sensational Start from Keller Powers Tribe Past Bats - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Rally Late But Fall to Indians, 4-3 - Louisville Bats
- Bullpen Shines as Herd Blanks Wings, 5-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Blank Wings in Homestand Opener - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (22-18) at Louisville Bats (18-25) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Indianapolis Indians (22-18) at Louisville Bats (18-25) - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Bats Homestand Notes: May 21-27 - Louisville Bats
- SWB Partnering with GovX for Military Discounts - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- "Knights Care 4 CLT" Effort Launched to Assist Those Affected by COVID-19
- 2020 ACC Baseball Championship Cancelled
- McMillon to be Inducted into Charlotte Baseball Round Table of Honor on May 3
- Knights Announce 2020 Scholarships with Founding Partners
- Knights' 2020 Slate Filled with Celebs, Fireworks & Giveaways