Bisons Blank Wings in Homestand Opener
The Rochester Red Wings dropped a 5-0 contest to the Buffalo Bisons Tuesday night at Frontier Field. The teams meet again Wednesday night at 7:05 p.m., on Mascot Night plus a magnet giveaway and another $1 Wednesday, with $1 Zweigle's hot dogs, peanuts, chips, and Cracker Jack.
Stephen Gonsalves made his first start of the year for the Red Wings after being activated from the injured list. He gave up the first run of the game in the second inning after walking three straight batters to load the bases and giving up a sacrifice fly to Teoscar Hernandez to give Buffalo a 1-0 lead.
Gonsalves finished his start throwing 2.0 innings allowing one hit, one earned run, five walks, and striking out two. He threw 51 pitches, 23 for strikes.
Rochester was unable to put up any runs against Bisons' starter Shawn Morimando, who pitched 4.0 innings and gave up three hits, five walks, and struck out five. 47 of his 90 pitches were strikes.
D.J. Baxendale came on in relief in the third frame and pitched three perfect innings with four strikeouts.
Buffalo extended their lead in the sixth against Red Wings' reliever Zack Weiss after Cavan Biggio got on base with a walk and later scored on a wild pitch to make the score 2-0.
Weiss pitched 2.0 innings, allowing a hit, an earned run, and a walk while striking out four. Trevor Hildenberger worked the final two innings; he set down the side in order in the eighth inning, but ran into trouble in the ninth.The Bisons converted four straight two-out hits into three runs and a 5-0 lead.
The Wings put a pair of runners on base in the bottom of the ninth, but the Bisons shut down the scoring bid to preserve the shutout win.
Winning pitcher:Jackson (2-0)
Losing pitcher: Gonsalves (0-1)
NOTES: LHP Stephen Gonsalves and INF Nick Gordon have been reinstated from the injured list... INF Randy Cesar extended his on base streak to nine games with his double in the third.
Radio and Webcast information | MiLB.TV subscription information
THIS DAY IN RED WINGS HISTORY
1976 - The Red Wings scored 12 runs in the second inning en route to a 16-2 victory over the Toledo Mud Hens at Silver Stadium. The victory snapped a six game losing streak in which Rochester had only scored a combined 14 runs. The 12 runs in the second inning, which tied a Red Wings record, all came after two outs had been recorded.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 21, 2019
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Offense leads charge in win over Mets - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Logan Morrison goes 3-for-5 with two homers and a double in losing effort - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Holt, HernÃ¡ndez Help Key PawSox Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Hens out Hit Clippers in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Skole's Two-Run Homer Lifts Knights over Stripers, 2-1 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mets Lose Series Opener to IronPigs, 9-3 - Syracuse Mets
- Pitching Powers Knights Past Stripers 2-1 - Charlotte Knights
- Sensational Start from Keller Powers Tribe Past Bats - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Rally Late But Fall to Indians, 4-3 - Louisville Bats
- Bullpen Shines as Herd Blanks Wings, 5-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Blank Wings in Homestand Opener - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (22-18) at Louisville Bats (18-25) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Indianapolis Indians (22-18) at Louisville Bats (18-25) - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Bats Homestand Notes: May 21-27 - Louisville Bats
- SWB Partnering with GovX for Military Discounts - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Red Wings Stories
- Team Store Open as Part of Phase Two
- WXXI and the Rochester Red Wings Team up to Bring Rochester a Special Televised Red Wings Game from the Past
- Red Wings Continue Curbside Concessions
- Red Wings to Host Virtual Race May 11-17
- Red Wings to Host Virtual Race to Benefit Health Care Workers