Pitcher's Duel Turns into an 8-0 Loss for Asheville
ASHEVILLE - The Asheville Tourists fell to the Greensboro Grasshoppers 8-0 in front of a sellout crowd on Friday night in a game that actually featured a great pitcher's duel most of the way. Asheville's Julio Robaina and Greensboro's Quinn Priester went back and forth for six innings without allowing a run. The Grasshoppers exploded for six runs in the seventh, added one in the eighth, and tacked on one more in the ninth.
Over the first six innings, Robaina held the Grasshoppers scoreless and surrendered only a pair of infield singles. The lefty ran into trouble in the seventh but still struck out eight batters on the night. Priester began the game by striking out the first nine Tourists hitters he faced. The Grasshopper's righty retired 15 in a row to start the game; 12 of which were strikeouts.
The Tourists' lone hit of the game came in the form of a leadoff single by Yainer Diaz in the sixth. Asheville did work a walk in the eighth and put two runners aboard in the ninth on a pair of Greensboro errors.
The visitors hit four Home Runs in the final three innings and tallied 11 hits during that span. Derek West made his Tourists debut in the top of the ninth and struck out a pair. Colin Selby pitched the final three innings for the Hoppers to earn a save.
Asheville struck out 19 times in the game; however, the Tourists still sport the league's top batting average in the month of August. Game five of the current series is set for Saturday at 6:05pm ET.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 27, 2021
- Quinn Priester, Colin Selby Strike out 19 in One-Hit Shutout - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Crawdads Beat Drive, 13-6 - Greenville Drive
- Gades Lose Third of Four Games to Dash - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Roper Flips Switch as Dash Hold off Hudson Valley 5-3 - Winston-Salem Dash
- Pitcher's Duel Turns into an 8-0 Loss for Asheville - Asheville Tourists
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (August 27) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Santos Homers as Gades Fall to Winston-Salem - Hudson Valley Renegades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.