Pigs earn third consecutive victory
For the second time in three days, IronPigs infielder Gift Ngoepe drove home winning run for Lehigh Valley (19-9).
Ngoepe cleared the bases with a three-run double in the bottom of the eighth inning to erase a one-run deficit and give the IronPigs a 5-3 victory over the Buffalo Bisons at Sahlen Field.
Two days ago, it was Ngoepe's two-run home run against the Syracuse Mets that highlighted another come-from-behind victory for the IL North leaders.
Ngoepe went 1-for-3 with 3 RBI while lead-off man Shane Robinson was 3-for-5 with a third-inning solo home run that tied the game at 1-1.
In addition to the team's six hits, the Pigs drew eight walks. Matt McBride drew one of those free passes with the bases loaded in the fourth, giving the Pigs a 2-1 lead against Buffalo starter Sean Reid-Foley.
Yacksel Rios (1-1) earned the victory after tossing 1.1 scoreless innings in relief of Cole Irvin (6.1 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 5 SO). Edgar Garcia secured the last four outs for his third save of the season. Javy Guerra (0-1) was tagged with the loss after allowing two runs on two hits over two innings of work.
Buffalo (10-17) chased Irvin from the game in the bottom of the seventh as they took a 3-2 lead on an RBI groundout by Anthony Alford and a sacrifice double play by Roemon Fields.
Alford also hit a solo home run in the second to give the Bisons an early 1-0 advantage.
The IronPigs and Bisons complete this three game set Sunday afternoon at Sahlen Field. The first pitch is scheduled for 1:05 p.m.
After an off day Monday, the Pigs return to Coca-Cola Park to open a three-game set against the Durham Bulls. Before Tuesday's 7:05 p.m. first pitch, 3,000 adults (18 and older) will receive a Cole Irvin bobblehead presented by St. Luke's University Health Network. Tuesday will also be 'Kings of the North' Night at Coca-Cola Park and a TD Bank Dog Day.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via Facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2019 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 4, 2019
- Knights Drop Saturday's Matchup to Tides 14-13 - Charlotte Knights
- Five-Run Eighth Powers Bats in 6-3 Comeback Win - Louisville Bats
- Cortes Carries RailRiders Early in 10-Inning Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings Take Game Two in a Slug Fest - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Gomez Ninth Inning Two-Run Home Run Forces Extras, But Mets Lose, 4-2, in Ten Innings against RailRiders - Syracuse Mets
- Toledo Falls in Extra Innings to Columbus - Toledo Mud Hens
- Riley's Two Homers, Five RBIs Lead 10-0 Win in Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bulls Bats Go Silent in Loss - Durham Bulls
- Pigs earn third consecutive victory - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- IronPigs Rally Past Bisons, 5-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (15-12) vs. Louisville Bats (11-18) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (11-18) at Indianapolis Indians (15-12) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Lehigh Valley (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- #HopeningDay to Feature Virtual Baseball Telecast
- 'All Abilities' Night Features Sign Language Jersey Auction
- Pig Day Celebration to be Held Friday, March 6
- IronPigs Release Full Promotional Calendar for the 2020 Season
- 2020 Bobblehead Lineup, Jersey Auction Dates Announced