Pigs earn third consecutive victory
For the second time in three days, IronPigs infielder Gift Ngoepe drove home winning run for Lehigh Valley (19-9).
Ngoepe cleared the bases with a three-run double in the bottom of the eighth inning to erase a one-run deficit and give the IronPigs a 5-3 victory over the Buffalo Bisons at Sahlen Field.
Two days ago, it was Ngoepe's two-run home run against the Syracuse Mets that highlighted another come-from-behind victory for the IL North leaders.
Ngoepe went 1-for-3 with 3 RBI while lead-off man Shane Robinson was 3-for-5 with a third-inning solo home run that tied the game at 1-1.
In addition to the team's six hits, the Pigs drew eight walks. Matt McBride drew one of those free passes with the bases loaded in the fourth, giving the Pigs a 2-1 lead against Buffalo starter Sean Reid-Foley.
Yacksel Rios (1-1) earned the victory after tossing 1.1 scoreless innings in relief of Cole Irvin (6.1 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 5 SO). Edgar Garcia secured the last four outs for his third save of the season. Javy Guerra (0-1) was tagged with the loss after allowing two runs on two hits over two innings of work.
Buffalo (10-17) chased Irvin from the game in the bottom of the seventh as they took a 3-2 lead on an RBI groundout by Anthony Alford and a sacrifice double play by Roemon Fields.
Alford also hit a solo home run in the second to give the Bisons an early 1-0 advantage.
The IronPigs and Bisons complete this three game set Sunday afternoon at Sahlen Field. The first pitch is scheduled for 1:05 p.m.
After an off day Monday, the Pigs return to Coca-Cola Park to open a three-game set against the Durham Bulls. Before Tuesday's 7:05 p.m. first pitch, 3,000 adults (18 and older) will receive a Cole Irvin bobblehead presented by St. Luke's University Health Network. Tuesday will also be 'Kings of the North' Night at Coca-Cola Park and a TD Bank Dog Day.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via Facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2019 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 4, 2019
- Knights Drop Saturday's Matchup to Tides 14-13 - Charlotte Knights
- Five-Run Eighth Powers Bats in 6-3 Comeback Win - Louisville Bats
- Cortes Carries RailRiders Early in 10-Inning Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings Take Game Two in a Slug Fest - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Gomez Ninth Inning Two-Run Home Run Forces Extras, But Mets Lose, 4-2, in Ten Innings against RailRiders - Syracuse Mets
- Toledo Falls in Extra Innings to Columbus - Toledo Mud Hens
- Riley's Two Homers, Five RBIs Lead 10-0 Win in Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bulls Bats Go Silent in Loss - Durham Bulls
- Pigs earn third consecutive victory - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- IronPigs Rally Past Bisons, 5-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (15-12) vs. Louisville Bats (11-18) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (11-18) at Indianapolis Indians (15-12) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Lehigh Valley (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.