Philp, Phillips Score in Wednesday Setback
STOCKTON, Calif. - Luke Philp and Matthew Phillips spearheaded a Stockton comeback push with goals in the second period, but an early 3-0 hole proved too much to overcome as the Ontario Reign bested the Heat by a 3-2 final Wednesday night at Stockton Arena. Ontario potted its three goals over a span of just 97 seconds in the opening frame, scores coming from Lance Bouma, Martin Frk and Gabriel Vilardi and was able to withstand Stockton's late rally. The teams played to a stalemate on special teams, Stockton going 0-for-5 on the man-advantage while holding Ontario scoreless on three power play opportunities.
W: Cal Petersen (27 shots, 25 saves)
L: Jon Gillies (5 shots, 2 saves)
ND: Artyom Zagidulin (28 shots, 28 saves)
Three Stars: First - Gabriel Vilardi (1g,1a), Second - Martin Frk (1g,1a), Third - Luke Philp (1g)
Shots On Goal: STK - 27, ONT - 33
Power Plays: STK - 0-5, ONT - 0-3
- Luke Philp continued his scoring run with the first goal of the game for Stockton late in the second period. He now has 10 points (7g,3a) in Stockton's last nine games.
- Assists on Philp's marker went to fellow rookies Eetu Tuulola, who has a point in four-straight games, and Adam Ruzicka.
- Matthew Phillips extended his scoring streak to four games (3g,3a) with his goal in the second period to pull the Heat within one.
- Artyom Zagidulin has recorded exactly 28 saves in his last three appearances.
- The Heat are now 4-3-1-1 on home ice.
The Heat host Bakersfield on Military Appreciation Night Saturday at 6 p.m. at Stockton Arena before returning to the road for a pair of divisional contests next week.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 5, 2019
- O'Connor Reassigned to Eagles, Two Return to Utah - Colorado Eagles
- Tye Felhaber Reassigned to Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Jimmy Huntington to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Luke Witkowski Named Syracuse Crunch Captain - Syracuse Crunch
- Capitals Loan Geisser to EV Zug in Switzerland - Hershey Bears
- Kopacka Assigned to Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Reassign Forward Artem Ivanyuzhenkov to the Norfolk Admirals - San Jose Barracuda
- T-Birds Recall Marcinew, MacPherson from ECHL Ahead of Teddy Bear Toss Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Defenseman Brennan Menell from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Brannstrom, Hogberg Sent to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Cory Conacher from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Sean Day Reassigned to Maine - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Burke, Hill Guide Tucson To More History - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Flips Road Script in 3-1 Victory - Ontario Reign
- Philp, Phillips Score in Wednesday Setback - Stockton Heat
- Burke's Two-Goal Night Rallies Roadrunners to 2-1 Win - Colorado Eagles
- Powerplay Propels Rocket to 3-2 Victory over Monsters - Laval Rocket
- Amerks Open Homestand with 4-0 Win over Marlies - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.