Penguins' Hartzell Named CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, in conjunction with the American Hockey League, announced today that Eric Hartzell has been selected as CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month for January.
Hartzell made 10 appearances during the month and allowed two goals or fewer in each of them, posting a record of 5-2-0 with a 1.33 goals-against average, a .944 save percentage and one shutout.
Hartzell began January with a 23-save performance in a 4-1 win over Binghamton on Jan. 5, then made a couple of relief appearances before his next start on Jan. 18, when he made 27 saves in a 4-2 win at Portland. Hartzell made a season-high 33 stops and shut down Providence, 5-1, on Jan. 19, and matched that total before denying all eight shootout attempts to preserve a 2-1 win in Norfolk on Jan. 25. Hartzell earned his third shutout of the season on Jan. 29, making 20 saves in a 4-0 win over Syracuse.
For the season, Hartzell is 9-5-1 in 19 appearances with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and leads the AHL with a 1.85 GAA while ranking sixth with a .925 save percentage. A rookie from White Bear Lake, Minn., Hartzell signed as a free agent with Pittsburgh on Apr. 16, 2013, following a four-year collegiate career at Quinnipiac University, where he was a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award while backstopping the Bobcats to the school's first-ever Frozen Four appearance and a berth in the national championship game in 2012-13.
In recognition of his achievement, Hartzell will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Penguins home game.
Hartzell becomes the eighth Wilkes-Barre/Scranton goaltender to earn this honor, joining Sebastien Caron (2000), Marc-Andre Fleury (2005), Dany Sabourin (2006), Nolan Schaeffer (2007) John Curry (2007 & 2010), Brad Thiessen (2010, 2011 & 2013), Jeff Zatkoff (2012).
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton returns to action next Friday night, February 7, when the Portland Pirates come to town. It's another Anything Goes Friday, featuring a $1,000 guaranteed giveaway from our friends at Cross Valley Federal Credit Union.
Good seats for Friday's contest, as well as all Penguins home games, are available at the Mohegan Sun Arena box office, online at TicketMaster.com, or by calling 800-745-3000.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 3, 2014
- Comets Add a D-Man - Utica Comets
- Stars Weekly (Week 19) - Texas Takes Down Toronto in Battle of Division Leaders - Texas Stars
- 'Pink the Rink' Night A Success - Utica Comets
- Preview: Games 47, 48 vs. Charlotte Checkers - Abbotsford Heat
- Canadiens Assign Thomas to Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Heat Sign Heemskerk - Abbotsford Heat
- Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
- Yann Sauve Headed to the Canucks - Utica Comets
- Bulldogs Wrap up Six-Game Road Trip with Four Games this Week - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Recalls Defenseman Sami Vatanen from Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Jaskin Recalled from Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Reassign Henry to Everblades - Syracuse Crunch
- Hoffman Named Ccm/AHL Player of the Week - Binghamton Senators
- Hogs Split Pair in New York - Rockford IceHogs
- Binghamton's Hoffman Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Flames Recall Ortio and Assign Street to Heat - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Center Travis Morin Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month - Texas Stars
- Penguins' Hartzell Named CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Defenceman Brenden Kichton Named CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month - St. John's IceCaps
- Morin, Kichton, Hartzell Named CCM/AHL Award Winners for January - AHL
- Bowl with the IceHogs in the 5th Annual Bowl-A-Thon - Rockford IceHogs
- Falcons to Hold Press Conference February 4 - Springfield Falcons
- Staying Hot at Home, Bears Close Gap in Division, Conference - Hershey Bears
- Emmerton Assigned to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Assign D'Agostino and Ruopp to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Falcons Weekly Notes - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Bellerive's Big Night Earns Penguins 4-3 Shootout Win
- Penguins Fight Back, But Lose in Shootout to Stars
- Penguins Stalled by Stars, 5-2
- Weekly: Penguins Hit the Road for Six-Game Road Trip
- Emil Larmi Reassigned to Penguins