Anaheim Recalls Defenseman Sami Vatanen from Norfolk
ANAHEIM, Calif. - The Anaheim Ducks announced today that the National Hockey League (NHL) club has recalled defenseman Sami Vatanen from the Norfolk Admirals, Anaheim's primary development affiliate in the American Hockey League (AHL).
Vatanen, 22, returns to Anaheim having posted six points (1g. 5a) in six games played with the Admirals this season. In addition, the 5-foot-10, 185-pound blue-liner has also totaled 14 points (6g, 8a) and a +3 rating in 39 appearances with the Ducks.
Last Season, Vatanen appeared in 62 games for Norfolk registering 45 points (9g, 36a), while also scoring two goals in eight games played with the Ducks. Vatanen is skating in his second North American professional season after three years playing in the Finnish Elite League (SM-liiga).
A 22-year-old native of Jyväskylä, Finland, Vatanen was selected by Anaheim in the fourth round (106th overall) of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. Vatanen was named to Team Finland's roster for the upcoming 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.
Next Home Game & Promotions: The Admirals return home to Scope for a pair of games on Friday and Saturday against the Hartford Wolf Pack. Friday's game is Military Appreciation Night presented by USAA. All military personnel can purchase tickets for just $11 when they present their valid military I.D. to the Scope Box Office. Game time is set for 7:30 p.m.
Game tickets are now on sale, and are available through the Norfolk Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com.
For 10-packs, or discounted group tickets stop by the Admirals' Administrative Offices at Scope, or call (757) 640-1212 Office hours are Monday - Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Fans can also visit us online at www.norfolkadmirals.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 3, 2014
- Comets Add a D-Man - Utica Comets
- Stars Weekly (Week 19) - Texas Takes Down Toronto in Battle of Division Leaders - Texas Stars
- 'Pink the Rink' Night A Success - Utica Comets
- Preview: Games 47, 48 vs. Charlotte Checkers - Abbotsford Heat
- Canadiens Assign Thomas to Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Heat Sign Heemskerk - Abbotsford Heat
- Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
- Yann Sauve Headed to the Canucks - Utica Comets
- Bulldogs Wrap up Six-Game Road Trip with Four Games this Week - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Recalls Defenseman Sami Vatanen from Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Jaskin Recalled from Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Reassign Henry to Everblades - Syracuse Crunch
- Hoffman Named Ccm/AHL Player of the Week - Binghamton Senators
- Hogs Split Pair in New York - Rockford IceHogs
- Binghamton's Hoffman Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Flames Recall Ortio and Assign Street to Heat - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Center Travis Morin Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month - Texas Stars
- Penguins' Hartzell Named CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Defenceman Brenden Kichton Named CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month - St. John's IceCaps
- Morin, Kichton, Hartzell Named CCM/AHL Award Winners for January - AHL
- Bowl with the IceHogs in the 5th Annual Bowl-A-Thon - Rockford IceHogs
- Falcons to Hold Press Conference February 4 - Springfield Falcons
- Staying Hot at Home, Bears Close Gap in Division, Conference - Hershey Bears
- Emmerton Assigned to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Assign D'Agostino and Ruopp to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Falcons Weekly Notes - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Admirals Stories
- Theut's 36 Saves Propels Admirals to 5-1 Victory
- Admirals Acquire Three Players from Cincinnati for B. Holmstrom, Coughlin
- Admirals Acquire Goaltender Sean Romeo from Adirondack
- Artem Ivanyuzhenkov Sent Back to AHL's Barracuda
- Admirals Score Five Unanswered Goals, Win 8-6