Hogs Split Pair in New York
Week 18 Recap:
Coming into Week 18 with a .500 record, the Rockford IceHogs dropped the week's opening game 4-1 to the Rochester Americans on Friday night. The IceHogs gave up four straight goals to the Amerks before answering in the third period to break up the shutout. Rockford evened up their ledger the next night in Utica with a 2-1 victory over the Comets. After breaking the tie in the second period, the IceHogs held the lead for the remainder of the contest to take both standings points.
Week 18 Results
Friday, Jan. 31: Rockford 1 at Rochester 4
Saturday, Feb. 1:"ÂRockford 2 at Utica 1
Week 19 Schedule
Tuesday, Feb. 4, vs. Hamilton, 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 8, vs. Iowa, 7:00 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 9, vs. Utica, 4:00 p.m.
-Rockford has won three of their last four games after going winless in four straight contests (0-3-1-0)
-Ted Dent was behind the bench for his 200th career game as IceHogs head coach on Saturday in Utica
-Winger Brandon Mashinter bagged his second game-winning goal of the season in four games on Saturday in Utica and both have come in 2-1 Rockford wins (1/25/14 vs. Milwaukee)
-Rookie winger Pat Mullane notched his fourth goal over his past 10 games on Saturday after getting held without a lamp lighter through his first 26 career AHL contests
-Sunday's game was the first time the IceHogs and Utica Comets have played in franchise history
-Rockford killed off two 5-on-3 Utica power plays on Saturday night and are now a perfect 8-for-8 on the road when two men down
-Rockford is 19-19-1-2 against Vancouver Canucks AHL affiliates. Including 7-8-1-0 vs. the Manitoba Moose from 2007-2011, 11-11-0-2 vs. the Chicago Wolves from 2011-2013 and 1-0-0-0 against the Comets
-The IceHogs are 3-for-6 on the 5-on-3 penalty kill on home ice
-After getting outscored 8-1 in a six-game stretch from 1/18/14-1/31/14 in the second period, Rockford scored the lone second period tally on Saturday
-Over his last three appearances, goalie Kent Simpson is 2-1-0-0 with a .920 save percentage and a 2.67 goals against average
-With his win on Sunday, Simpson now has the most wins by a goaltender this season with eight, surpassing Antti Raanta's previous high of seven
-Rockford will play Hamilton for a 12th time in franchise history on Tuesday and carry a record of 2-8-1-0 against the Bulldogs, but have never beaten them in regulation
Hot Hog: Week 18
Left Wing, Brandon Mashinter
During a North Division weekend trip, winger Brandon Mashinter notched a point in both games. The Bradford, Ontario native recorded an assist in the first contest of the weekend on the IceHogs only goal of the game. Mashinter took the shot that lead to Philippe Lefebvre's tip in goal. The forward also notched the game winning marker on Sunday against the Comets in the second period. With his two points on the week, Mashinter is now in double digits for points (5g-5a-10pts) for the IceHogs since he was traded and assigned to Rockford on 12/6/13. The new Hog has 17 points (6g-11a) in all between Rockford and Hartford.
Upcoming Games: Week 19
Tuesday, Feb. 4 vs. Hamilton"ÂBulldogs: Game time is set for 7 p.m. The IceHogs take on the Hamilton Bulldogs for the final time this season. The contest will be a WXRX Dollar Days game where fans can get $1 hot dogs, soda, beer and companion tickets.
Saturday, Feb. 8 vs. Iowa Wild: Opening face-off will be at 7 p.m. Iowa comes to the BMO"ÂHarris Bank Center for the fourth time this season. The first 2,500 fans to the BMO will receive a Brandon Saad bobblehead courtesy of WIFR.
Sunday,"ÂFeb. 9 vs. Utica Comets: Puck drop is slated for 4 p.m. Rockford ends the week before the start of the All-Star Break against the Comets after playing at Utica eight days earlier. The first 2,500 fans to the BMO"Âwill receive a set of player cards courtesy of the Rockford Register Star. Fans can also take part in another Skate-with-the-Hogs post-game skate. All fans are encouraged to bring their skates to the game and come down to the ice afterwards to skate with the players. The game is a Vienna Beef Family Value Day. Fans can buy four tickets, four hot dogs and four sodas for $59. Additional tickets can be added to the package for $15.
Illinois Lottery Cup Series Standings
Teams Record Points
Chicago 3-2-0-0 6
Rockford 2-2-0-1 5
Upcoming Illinois Lottery Cup Games:
Feb. 14: Chicago at Rockford, 7 p.m.
Feb. 21: Chicago at Rockford, 7 p.m.
Mar. 21: Rockford at Chicago, 7:30 p.m.
Mar. 22: Chicago at Rockford, 7 p.m
HOG TALK TONIGHT
Bud Light Hog Talk is back at District Bar and Grill
Rockford, Ill. - Join us tonight at District Bar and Grill for Bud Light Hog Talk at 6 p.m.
IceHogs play-by-play broadcaster Mike Peck and Brian Tosti will sit down and chat with IceHogs defenseman Theo Peckham, forward Brandon Mashinter and head coach Ted Dent. District will offer great food and drink specials all season long for all fans in attendance. The IceHogs will also offer fans the chance to win tickets to upcoming games, autographed memorbilia and much more!
Can't make it to District? Each show will be taped and re-broadcasted on 23.2 Antenna TV on Tuesdays from 7-8 p.m.
The show will also feature a special fan mail bag. Fans are encouraged to submit their questions online via the IceHogs Facebook or Twitter accounts using the hashtag - #HogTalk.
District Bar and Grill is located in downtown Rockford at 205 W. State St.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 3, 2014
- Comets Add a D-Man - Utica Comets
- Stars Weekly (Week 19) - Texas Takes Down Toronto in Battle of Division Leaders - Texas Stars
- 'Pink the Rink' Night A Success - Utica Comets
- Preview: Games 47, 48 vs. Charlotte Checkers - Abbotsford Heat
- Canadiens Assign Thomas to Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Heat Sign Heemskerk - Abbotsford Heat
- Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
- Yann Sauve Headed to the Canucks - Utica Comets
- Bulldogs Wrap up Six-Game Road Trip with Four Games this Week - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Recalls Defenseman Sami Vatanen from Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Jaskin Recalled from Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Reassign Henry to Everblades - Syracuse Crunch
- Hoffman Named Ccm/AHL Player of the Week - Binghamton Senators
- Hogs Split Pair in New York - Rockford IceHogs
- Binghamton's Hoffman Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Flames Recall Ortio and Assign Street to Heat - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Center Travis Morin Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month - Texas Stars
- Penguins' Hartzell Named CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Defenceman Brenden Kichton Named CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month - St. John's IceCaps
- Morin, Kichton, Hartzell Named CCM/AHL Award Winners for January - AHL
- Bowl with the IceHogs in the 5th Annual Bowl-A-Thon - Rockford IceHogs
- Falcons to Hold Press Conference February 4 - Springfield Falcons
- Staying Hot at Home, Bears Close Gap in Division, Conference - Hershey Bears
- Emmerton Assigned to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Assign D'Agostino and Ruopp to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Falcons Weekly Notes - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.