Pelicans Blank Blue Rocks to Take Series
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - Justin Steele did not allow a hit until the sixth and the Myrtle Beach Pelicans shut out the Wilmington Blue Rocks 3-0 Sunday from TicketReturn.Com Field at Pelicans Ballpark.
Steele (1-1) earned the win for the Pelicans (52-66, 18-30), throwing no-hit baseball against the Blue Rocks (60-58, 29-19) through his 5.1 innings until allowing a single to Blake Perkins. He finished only allowing the one hit while striking out two and walking two. Yapson Gomez added 2.2 shutout innings and Tyler Peyton fired a scoreless ninth inning to earn his ninth save on the season.
The Pelicans attacked Ofreidy Gomez (4-10) early on. In the bottom of the first inning, D.J. Wilson , who finished 3-for-4 with two doubles, led off the inning with a single before Aramis Ademan walked. Jhonny Pereda then smacked an RBI double down the left side to put the Birds on the board.
After singling to start the sixth, Jared Young moved to third on an Andruw Monasterio single and came around to score on a wild pitch to make it 2-0.
With Monasterio at second and Tyler Alamo at first in the eighth, Zach Davis looped an RBI single into right to give the Pelicans a 3-0 advantage.
Following a day off on Monday, the Pelicans are back on the road for a four-game, three-day series in Woodbridge, Va. against the Potomac Nationals. A doubleheader starts the series at 5 p.m. on Tuesday. The Birds send RHP Alex Lange (6-8, 4.01 ERA) to the mound for game one of the set. Coverage begins at 4:45 for a 5 p.m. first pitch on MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast, the MiLB First Pitch app and TuneIn.
The 2018 season is the 20th season for the Pelicans franchise and fourth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Rocks Go Down Quietly against Pelicans - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Pelicans Blank Blue Rocks to Take Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Mudcats Smash Salem in 9-0 Shutout Win - Carolina Mudcats
- McCarty Dazzles in Debut as Hillcats Sweep Wood Ducks - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Offense Fizzles in Fourth Straight Loss - Down East Wood Ducks
- Sox Washed out 9-0 by Mudcats Sunday - Salem Red Sox
- P-Nats Swept by Winston-Salem in 6-3 Double Up - Potomac Nationals
- Winston Completes Sweep of Potomac Behind 15 Hits - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, August 12 vs. Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Series Finale Between Keys and Astros Cancelled - Frederick Keys
- August 12 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- RHP Garrett Kelly assigned to Myrtle Beach from Low-A South Bend - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Winston-Salem Rayados: Game Notes (august 12 Vs. Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.