Winston-Salem Rayados: Game Notes (august 12 Vs. Potomac)
Winston-Salem will sport its Rayados jerseys for the final time this year on Sunday against Potomac. First pitch is set for 2 p.m..
WINSTON-SALEM DASH (29-16, 70-45) VS. Potomac Nationals (24-22, 61-52)
LHP John Parke (3-3, 3.94 ERA) vs. LHP Nick Raquet (2-2, 6.67 ERA)
2 p.m. - BB&T Ballpark (Winston-Salem, N.C.)
Game #116 (Home Game #57)
DASH POST SHUTOUT WIN OVER P-NATS
With Dash part-owner Chris Paul and 6,226 total fans in attendance, the Dash shut out Potomac 4-0 on Saturday night at BB&T ballpark. Alec Hansen, Lincoln Henzman, Drew Hasler, Devan Watts and Mike Morrison combined to allow just six hits in the ballgame. Luis Gonzalez got the scoring going in the bottom of the sixth inning with an RBI double to left-center, notching a go-ahead hit for the third consecutive game. Later in the sixth, Laz Rivera chased Joan Baez out of the game with a two-run single to center. White Sox first-round pick Nick Madrigal capped the scoring with an RBI single to right-center, registering his second RBI in a Dash uniform.
WINSTON TOWER POWER
Winston-Salem still ranks first in the Carolina League in runs (594), hits (1,055), doubles (224), triples (37) and RBIs (557). Meanwhile, the ballclub ranks second in the league in batting average (.273) and on-base percentage (.343). On the mound, Winston-Salem ranks third in the circuit in ERA (3.55) and fourth in the league with 931 strikeouts.
GETTING BETTER WITH TIME
A former Nationals and Orioles farmhand, Yermin Mercedes is now posting a .976 OPS after the All-Star Break with five home runs and 30 RBIs. Mercedes earned the Carolina League's Player of the Week Award from July 30-August 5. Mercedes is hitting .441 (15-for-34) over his last 10 contests. The 25-year-old was selected by the White Sox in the Minor League Phase of the Rule 5 Draft in December of 2017.
Winston currently boasts nine of the top prospects in the White Sox system per MLB Pipeline on its active roster, including infielders Madrigal (No. 4), Gavin Sheets (No. 15) and Rivera (No. 28), outfielders Luis Robert (No. 3), Blake Rutherford (No. 7) and Gonzalez (No. 14), and right-handers Hansen (No. 10), Tyler Johnson (No. 23) and Henzman (No. 30).
BEST OF THE BEST IN MILB
After clinching a first-half Southern Division championship, Winston-Salem now has the fifth-best winning percentage in full-season Minor League Baseball with a .609 mark. Here's a look at the top teams:
1. Bowling Green Hot Rods
(Midwest League - A): 76-41 (.650)
2. Memphis Redbirds
(Pacific Coast League - AAA): 74-44 (.627)
3. Lakewood BlueClaws
(South Atlantic League - A): 73-44 (.624)
4. Corpus Christi Hooks
(Texas League - AA): 72-46 (.610)
5. Winston-Salem Dash
(Carolina League - A+): 70-45 (.609)
For the final time this season, the Dash will be wearing their "Winston-Salem Rayados" jerseys as part of the launch of "Copa de la Diversión," or "Fun Cup," a season-long event series specifically designed to embrace the culture and values that resonate most with participating teams' local Hispanic/Latino communities. "Rayados" translates to "the Striped Ones," and is born out of a collaboration with the baseball team and the Hispanic League of Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem will sport a white jersey with red and blues stripes and "Winston-Salem Rayados" written in the front.
THE $26 MILLION MAN
Rated the 25th-best overall prospect by MLB Pipeline, Robert is 11-for-37 with seven runs scored and five RBIs to start at the High-A level. Robert was activated off the disabled list on Tuesday after having not played with the Dash since June 28. An MRI revealed a moderate sprain to the ligament in his left thumb, the same thumb that he sprained during Spring Training.
Winston-Salem can clinch its 10th sweep with a win on Sunday.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Rocks Go Down Quietly against Pelicans - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Pelicans Blank Blue Rocks to Take Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Mudcats Smash Salem in 9-0 Shutout Win - Carolina Mudcats
- McCarty Dazzles in Debut as Hillcats Sweep Wood Ducks - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Offense Fizzles in Fourth Straight Loss - Down East Wood Ducks
- Sox Washed out 9-0 by Mudcats Sunday - Salem Red Sox
- P-Nats Swept by Winston-Salem in 6-3 Double Up - Potomac Nationals
- Winston Completes Sweep of Potomac Behind 15 Hits - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, August 12 vs. Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Series Finale Between Keys and Astros Cancelled - Frederick Keys
- August 12 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- RHP Garrett Kelly assigned to Myrtle Beach from Low-A South Bend - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Winston-Salem Rayados: Game Notes (august 12 Vs. Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winston-Salem Dash Stories
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (august 19 Vs. Wilmington, Doubleheader)
- Dash, Blue Rocks Postponed on Saturday
- Dash Outlast Blue Rocks 12-11 in Suspended Game
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (august 18 Vs. Wilmington, Suspended Game + 7-Inning Contest)
- Remillard, Bullpen Lift Dash to 4-3 Win over Wilmington