McCarty Dazzles in Debut as Hillcats Sweep Wood Ducks
Lynchburg, Va. - With one out in the seventh inning, Trenton Brooks laced an RBI single to bring home Jose Medina, breaking a 1-1 tie, to give the Hillcats a 2-1 win and a series sweep over the Down East Wood Ducks on Sunday.
Lynchburg (58-58, 29-20) won the final five meetings with Down East (50-70, 15-35), outscoring the Wood Ducks 17-9 over the span.
Kirk McCarty was outstanding for the Hillcats in his Advanced-A debut. The lefty fired six scoreless innings, giving up just two hits and a walk, while striking out six. He retired the final ten batters he faced.
The Hillcats struck first in the bottom of the fifth inning against Down East starter Jason Bahr. Medina walked to begin the inning, and with two outs, Li-Jen Chu roped a double to left-center field as Medina scored all the way from first to make it 1-0 Lynchburg.
Bahr gave up one run on six hits over five innings. He walked two and struck out seven, but did not factor in the decision.
The Woodies tied the game in the top of the seventh against Jared Robinson (Win, 4-3). Andretty Cordero lined a two-out solo home run to left field, his ninth of the season to knot the score at 1-1.
Robinson stayed on to work a scoreless eighth, and struck out three on the night while giving up just the lone hit.
The Hillcats responded quickly with Brooks' single in the home half of the seventh off of Blake Bass (Loss, 1-1). The run was an unearned run for Bass as a result of a passed ball in the inning. He gave up three hits and struck out two over two innings.
Dalbert Siri (Save, 11) shut the door in the ninth, striking out the side on nine pitches to seal the victory.
The Hillcats will enjoy an off-day Monday, before traveling to Wilmington to face off with the Blue Rocks in a three game series. Right-hander Zach Plesac (8-4, 4.16) will take the hill for Lynchburg Tuesday, opposed by Wilmington righty Gerson Garabito (6-6, 3.38), in a 6:35 p.m. tilt.
Max Gun will be on the air beginning at 6:25 p.m. on TuneIn Radio and Radio434.
Lynchburg then returns to City Stadium for a weekend series against the Frederick Keys, beginning on August 17. It will be Mario Kart Night, featuring a Triston McKenzie bobblehead giveaway to the first 1,000 fans.
For tickets and more information visit lynchburg-hillcats.com, the City Stadium box office, or call 434-528-1144.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Rocks Go Down Quietly against Pelicans - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Pelicans Blank Blue Rocks to Take Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Mudcats Smash Salem in 9-0 Shutout Win - Carolina Mudcats
- McCarty Dazzles in Debut as Hillcats Sweep Wood Ducks - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Offense Fizzles in Fourth Straight Loss - Down East Wood Ducks
- Sox Washed out 9-0 by Mudcats Sunday - Salem Red Sox
- P-Nats Swept by Winston-Salem in 6-3 Double Up - Potomac Nationals
- Winston Completes Sweep of Potomac Behind 15 Hits - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, August 12 vs. Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Series Finale Between Keys and Astros Cancelled - Frederick Keys
- August 12 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- RHP Garrett Kelly assigned to Myrtle Beach from Low-A South Bend - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Winston-Salem Rayados: Game Notes (august 12 Vs. Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lynchburg Hillcats Stories
- Five-Run Second Guides Hillcats to Third Straight Win
- Big Sixth Inning Leads Hillcats Past Wood Ducks in Opener
- Hillcats Bats Come Alive, Win Series Finale on Easter Sunday
- Hillcats Manage Just Three Runs in Double-Header, Get Swept by Pelicans
- Hillcats and Pelicans Postponed on Friday