P-Nats Swept by Winston-Salem in 6-3 Double Up
Winston-Salem, NC - Early offense from both sides saw a run cross the plate in six of the first eight half innings of the series finale, but a two-run fifth inning propelled the Winston-Salem Dash (71-45, 30-16) to a 6-3 victory over the Potomac Nationals (61-53, 24-23) on Sunday afternoon. The win capped off a three-game sweep by the Dash in a battle of the First Half Champions from the Carolina League's Northern (Potomac) and Southern (Winston-Salem) Divisions.
The Dash jumped out to a first inning 1-0 lead just two batters into their first trip to the plate against LHP Nick Raquet (L, 2-3). CF Luis Robert led off the bottom of the first inning with a triple, while RF Luis Gonzalez made it 1-0 Winston-Salem with a single. Raquet gave up a hit to the first three batters that he faced, but allowed just one run in the inning.
Potomac and Winston-Salem traded runs in the second inning, as 2B Edwin Lora drew a bases loaded walk from LHP John Parke (W, 4-3), which tied the game, but an RBI single in the home half of the inning from Robert put the Dash back in the lead.
The P-Nats pulled even with a run in the third inning on a sacrifice fly from 1B Aldrem Corredor, and took their lone lead of the game on a sacrifice fly from SS Luis Garcia in the fourth inning, but failed to score over the final five frames. Parke allowed three runs on six hits over five innings.
Trailing for the first time since early in game one of the series, the Dash quickly tied the game in the home half of the fourth inning, as they scored the final four runs of the contest. C Daniel Gonzalez tied the game at 3-3 with an RBI single in the fourth inning, 3B Ti'Quan Forbes gave the Dash a 5-3 lead with a two-run, two-out single in the fifth frame, while Gonzalez launched his first home run with the Dash, a solo blast in the sixth inning. Gonzalez's home run off of RHP Steven Fuentes made it 6-3 Winston-Salem, the eventual final.
RHP Jacob Condra-Bogan and LHP Taylor Guilbeau each worked a scoreless inning for Potomac, while RHP Blake Hickman, RHP Danny Dopico, and LHP Hunter Schryver (SV, 2) each worked shutout baseball for the Dash.
Off of a four-game losing streak, Potomac will have Monday off, and then begin a four-game series with the Myrtle Beach Pelicans spread over three days. The teams will get the series underway with a doubleheader on Tuesday night, play Wednesday night, and cap off the series on Thursday afternoon.
First pitch at Northwest Federal field on Tuesday is set for 5:00pm. The Potomac broadcast will get underway at 4:45pm with the P-Nats Leadoff Show. You can listen to the Potomac broadcast at potomacnationals.com, at http://bit.ly/P-NatsBroadcast, or on the TuneIn Radio App.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Rocks Go Down Quietly against Pelicans - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Pelicans Blank Blue Rocks to Take Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Mudcats Smash Salem in 9-0 Shutout Win - Carolina Mudcats
- McCarty Dazzles in Debut as Hillcats Sweep Wood Ducks - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Offense Fizzles in Fourth Straight Loss - Down East Wood Ducks
- Sox Washed out 9-0 by Mudcats Sunday - Salem Red Sox
- P-Nats Swept by Winston-Salem in 6-3 Double Up - Potomac Nationals
- Winston Completes Sweep of Potomac Behind 15 Hits - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, August 12 vs. Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Series Finale Between Keys and Astros Cancelled - Frederick Keys
- August 12 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- RHP Garrett Kelly assigned to Myrtle Beach from Low-A South Bend - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Winston-Salem Rayados: Game Notes (august 12 Vs. Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Potomac Nationals Stories
- Potomac Nationals Announce All 2019 Game Times
- Vote Now for the 2019 Loyal Hygiene Solutions P-Nats Fans' Choice Ghostbusters Bobblehead
- 2019 Potomac Nationals Field Staff Announced
- 2019 Potomac Nationals' Mini Plans Now on Sale
- Andrew Mullins Earns Free Fredericksburg Baseball Season Ticket as 1,000th Founders Club Ticket Holder