Rocks Go Down Quietly against Pelicans
Myrtle Beach, SC - The Wilmington Blue Rocks (60-58/29-19) ended the season series against the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (52-66/18-30) on a sour note with a 3-0 loss on Sunday night at TicketReturn.com Field. The Rocks offense was kept quiet by the Pelicans who only gave up a combined four hits in the game.
The Pelicans took the early lead in the bottom of the first. D.J. Wilson led the inning off with a single up the middle. Aramis Ademan followed up with a five-pitch walk to put runners on first and second with no outs. Jhonny Pereda lined a double into left to score Wilson and put Myrtle Beach ahead 1-0. Myrtle Beach added to its lead in the bottom of the sixth. Jared Young singled to center and then moved to third after a single to right by Andruw Monasterio. Ofreidy Gomez threw a wild pitch that allowed Monasterio to move to second and Young to score to make it a 2-0 ballgame.
The Pelicans tallied another insurance run in the bottom of the eighth. A walk by Monasterio and a single by Tyler Alamo put runners on first and second with one out. Zach Davis singled to right to bring Monasterio home and put the game out of reach, 3-0.
Wilmington came close to scoring in the top of the sixth. Oliver Nunez drew a walk and later moved to third after a Blake Perkins single. With runners on the corners and one out, Perkins was caught stealing second. Rudy Martin struck out to leave the runner on third stranded and end the inning. The Blue Rocks had another opportunity in the top of the seventh. Back-to-back singles by Emmanuel Rivera and Meibrys Viloria put runners on first and second with one out. Travis Jones was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Brewer Hicklen hit a sharp grounder to third that was backhanded by the Pelican's third baseman Yelier Peguero for an inning ending double play.
The Blue Rocks will return to action and Frawley Stadium on Tuesday, August 4 with a 6:35 p.m. start time against the Lynchburg Hillcats. Wilmington will have right-hander Gerson Garabito (6-6, 3.38 ERA) on the mound. Fans, if you can't make it to the game you can catch all the action with Matt Janus and Cory Nidoh on 89.7 WGLS-FM.
PEBBLES OF KNOWLEDGE
The Blue Rocks wrap up their road trip with a 3-3 record. Wilmington now holds 30-32 road record this season. Last year the Rocks finished the season with a 32-39 record in away games. The Blue Rocks also finished their short season series with the Pelicans on Sunday night. The two teams split the six games evenly with three wins apiece. Last year, Myrtle Beach swept Wilmington going a perfect 6-0 in the 2017 season.
Emmanuel Rivera has built up a solid hitting streak during the road trip. With a single on Sunday night, the third baseman has a five-game hitting streak. Rivera is fourth on the team in total hits this season with 81. Rivera sits behind Blake Perkins with 99, D.J. Burt with 100, and Gabriel Cancel with 102. The longest hitting streak of the season belongs to former Blue Rock Kort Peterson who hit safely from June 1 to June 12 for an 11-game streak.
Despite the loss on Sunday night, Wilmington starter Ofreidy Gomez had another solid outing on the mound. The righty went six full innings giving up only six hits, two runs, and two walks with two strikeouts. In Gomez's last ten appearances, he has had six outings where he's given up two or fewer earned runs. Gomez is also second on the team in strikeouts with 83. He is only behind Gerson Garabito who has 94.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Rocks Go Down Quietly against Pelicans - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Pelicans Blank Blue Rocks to Take Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Mudcats Smash Salem in 9-0 Shutout Win - Carolina Mudcats
- McCarty Dazzles in Debut as Hillcats Sweep Wood Ducks - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Offense Fizzles in Fourth Straight Loss - Down East Wood Ducks
- Sox Washed out 9-0 by Mudcats Sunday - Salem Red Sox
- P-Nats Swept by Winston-Salem in 6-3 Double Up - Potomac Nationals
- Winston Completes Sweep of Potomac Behind 15 Hits - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, August 12 vs. Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Series Finale Between Keys and Astros Cancelled - Frederick Keys
- August 12 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- RHP Garrett Kelly assigned to Myrtle Beach from Low-A South Bend - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Winston-Salem Rayados: Game Notes (august 12 Vs. Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.