Winston Completes Sweep of Potomac Behind 15 Hits
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Sporting their Rayados jerseys for the final time in 2018 as part of Minor League Baseball's "Copa de la Diversion" initiative, Winston-Salem defeated Potomac 6-3 to complete a series sweep of the Nationals on Sunday afternoon at BB&T Ballpark.
After left-hander John Parke (4-3) tossed a scoreless top of the first, Winston-Salem (30-16, 71-45) jumped on Potomac (24-23, 61-53) starter Nick Raquet (2-3) for one run in the bottom of the first. Luis Robert led off the frame with a triple, and Luis Gonzalez drove him in with a single to make it a 1-0 contest.
The Nationals responded in the top of the second, evening the contest at one. Following two singles and a walk to load the bases, Parke issued a bases-loaded walk to Edwin Lora to force in a run.
But, the Rayados immediately retook the lead in the bottom of the second. After a Zach Remillard triple with one out, Robert lined an RBI single into left field to put Winston in front 2-1.
However, Potomac answered again in the top of the third, when Ian Sagdal led off the inning with a triple and scored on a sacrifice fly from Aldrem Corredor to re-tie the game. The Nationals added another run in top of the fourth to take their first lead of the game. With runners on the corners and one out, Luis Garcia hit a sacrifice fly to center to make it a 3-2 contest.
The Rayados tied the game back up in the bottom of the fourth. JJ Muno led off the inning with a double, and then he scored on a single from Daniel Gonzalez.
Winston-Salem took the lead for good in the next inning. Nick Madrigal reached on a fielder's choice and Yermin Mercedes singled to put runners on first and second. Following a wild pitch that advanced both runners, Ti'Quan Forbes stroked a two-run single up the middle to make it a 5-3 game. Daniel Gonzalez provided some insurance in the bottom of the sixth, crushing a solo homer to left field - his first home run of the season - to extend Winston's lead to 6-3.
The Rayados bullpen strung together four scoreless innings behind Parke to secure the win. Right-hander Blake Hickman worked a scoreless sixth inning, and right-hander Danny Dopico struck out four batters in his two innings. Left-hander Hunter Schryver earned his second save with Winston-Salem after firing a scoreless ninth.
After a scheduled off-day on Monday, Winston-Salem travels to Buies Creek, N.C., for a three-game series with the Astros beginning on Tuesday at 6 p.m. Right-hander Luis Martinez (7-6, 4.40) will get the start for Winston-Salem in the series opener.
Following a three-game set with Buies Creek, the Dash return to BB&T Ballpark on Friday for a four-game series with the Wilmington Blue Rocks. Promotions for the homestand include jam-packed Friday with postgame fireworks, a Daddy-Daughter Date Night, and a City of the Arts celebration. Kids can run the bases after each of the weekend contests, and the series finale is a Lowes Foods Family Sunday.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Rocks Go Down Quietly against Pelicans - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Pelicans Blank Blue Rocks to Take Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Mudcats Smash Salem in 9-0 Shutout Win - Carolina Mudcats
- McCarty Dazzles in Debut as Hillcats Sweep Wood Ducks - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Offense Fizzles in Fourth Straight Loss - Down East Wood Ducks
- Sox Washed out 9-0 by Mudcats Sunday - Salem Red Sox
- P-Nats Swept by Winston-Salem in 6-3 Double Up - Potomac Nationals
- Winston Completes Sweep of Potomac Behind 15 Hits - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, August 12 vs. Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Series Finale Between Keys and Astros Cancelled - Frederick Keys
- August 12 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- RHP Garrett Kelly assigned to Myrtle Beach from Low-A South Bend - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Winston-Salem Rayados: Game Notes (august 12 Vs. Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.