Owlz Floor Chukars in Middle Innings to Take Series Opener
Orem, UT - In the final two games of the Chukars series in Ogden, the Raptors committed five errors apiece, aiding a pair of Chukars victories. Tonight in Orem, the shoe was on the other foot as the Chukars committed five errors which led to five unearned runs. Orem hit four homers in the game and scored the final eight runs of the game, beating Idaho Falls 13-5 in the series opener. The Chukars struck out a season high 15 times in the game.
In the second inning, the Owlz rallied with two outs for a big inning. With one on and two out, Anthony Mulrine singled to extend the inning for Morgan McCullough, who blasted a three run homer to dead center field. Jeremiah Jackson stepped in next and launched his league leading 16th homer of the year to make it 4-0.
Orem got a fifth run on a bases loaded walk in the third inning, but the Chukars struck back with a vengeance in the top of the fourth. Michael Emodi started the inning with a solo homer, and with the bases loaded and two out, Jose Marquez hit a grand slam to tie the game at five. For Marquez, the slam was his first homer in 44 games played this season.
The game remained tied going into the bottom of the fifth inning, and that is where the bottom fell out for Idaho Falls. Brady Cox (L, 1-1) issued a leadoff walk to Johan Sala, and Jose Verrier followed with a two run homer to make it 7-5 Owlz. An error with one out in the inning put a runner on, and with two out and two on, Jackson hit his second homer of the game, a three run shot, to extend the Orem lead to five. All the runs that scored on the Jackson home run were unearned.
Orem added two more unearned runs in the sixth inning on three more errors. The Owlz added on one more in the seventh, while the Chukars offense couldn't manage another run after the Marquez grand slam.
Tomorrow the Chukars look to even the series against the Owlz at a game apiece. First pitch is at 7:05 PM, with the pregame show hitting the airwaves of ESPN 980 The Sports Zone beginning at 6:50 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Vibes Dominate Game Two to Level Series - Great Falls Voyagers
- Rox Slide Extends to Four - Grand Junction Rockies
- Owlz Win Fourth Straight - Orem Owlz
- Offense Falls Flat in Orem - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Pitching Again Prevails for Mustangs in 3-2 Win - Billings Mustangs
- Lewis Honored as Player of the Week - Ogden Raptors
- First Extras Experience Kind to Raptors - Ogden Raptors
- Owlz Blast Chukars in Opener - Orem Owlz
- Owlz Floor Chukars in Middle Innings to Take Series Opener - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Voyagers Roast Vibes for Third Straight Win - Great Falls Voyagers
- Rox Shutout in Third Straight Loss - Grand Junction Rockies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.