Voyagers Roast Vibes for Third Straight Win
Great Falls, MT - The Voyagers clubbed two home runs and allowed only two base hits in a 3-1 series-opening victory over Rocky Mountain Monday night at Centene Stadium. Great Falls (6-7, 20-29) won its third in a row. The Voyagers are 13-12 at home and 7-5 against the South Division. The Vibes (6-8, 23-29) fell to 12-15 on the road. They are 6-7 against the North. The Voyagers lead the season series 3-2.
Great Falls opened the scoring with a bang in the bottom of the second. Leading off, Jonathan Allen blasted his first professional home run high and long gone to deep right field. The homer traveled 432 feet with an exit velocity of 104.
After Rocky Mountain leveled the game with a run in the top of the third, the Voyagers quickly jumped ahead again in the home half. With one out, Harvin Mendoza cracked a high fly ball to right-center that cleared the wall for a 2-1 advantage. It was Mendoza's sixth dinger of the season.
Great Falls made it 3-1 on a two-out, RBI single to center from Tom Archer in the bottom of the fourth. The Archer base hit scored Jonathan Allen easily from third. Allen had led off the inning with a line drive single to center.
The Voyagers' pitching staff surrendered a season-low two base hits. Kaleb Roper worked three innings in relief for the victory. Roper (2-0) faced the minimum with two strikeouts and one walk. Wuilder Rodriguez took the loss for the Vibes. Rodriguez (0-1) lasted five innings in his start and yielded three earned runs on eight hits (2 HRs) with six strikeouts. Pauly Milto struck out the side in the ninth with one hit allowed for his second save of the season. In a three-inning start, Dan Metzdorf gave up an unearned run and one hit with three strikeouts. Caleb Freeman made his Great Falls debut and worked two clean innings with four strikeouts. The staff struck out 12 for the game, and retired 10 straight at one point.
Great Falls outhit Rocky Mountain 11-to-2. Harvin Mendoza, Tyrus Greene, and Jonathan Allen all had two hits. Allen scored two runs. Kleyder Sanchez also went 2-for-4 with a pair of singles. The last seven Vibes batters struck out.
Great Falls plays game two of four against Rocky Mountain Tuesday night. First pitch is scheduled for 7 p.m. For season tickets and promotional information, call 406-452-5311 or visit www.gfvoyagers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Vibes Dominate Game Two to Level Series - Great Falls Voyagers
- Rox Slide Extends to Four - Grand Junction Rockies
- Owlz Win Fourth Straight - Orem Owlz
- Offense Falls Flat in Orem - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Pitching Again Prevails for Mustangs in 3-2 Win - Billings Mustangs
- Lewis Honored as Player of the Week - Ogden Raptors
- First Extras Experience Kind to Raptors - Ogden Raptors
- Owlz Blast Chukars in Opener - Orem Owlz
- Owlz Floor Chukars in Middle Innings to Take Series Opener - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Voyagers Roast Vibes for Third Straight Win - Great Falls Voyagers
- Rox Shutout in Third Straight Loss - Grand Junction Rockies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.