Lewis Honored as Player of the Week
OGDEN, UT - Brandon Lewis has been named Pioneer League Player of the Week for August 5-11, Minor League Baseball announced Monday.
After participating in the Pioneer League - Northwest League All-Star Game on Tuesday, August 6, Lewis hit .600 (6-for-10) while playing three of the four games against the Idaho Falls Chukars. He began the series with three hits in seven at-bats, an RBI and a pair of runs scored in a doubleheader Friday, August 9, before making his mark by tying a franchise record with three home runs in a game Saturday, August 10. Lewis also walked twice and drove in six runs in Saturday's game.
The three home runs hit by Lewis combined for a projected distance of 1,327 feet. His three-run blast in the third inning gave the Raptors a 4-1 lead, a two-run homer in the sixth tied the game and a final solo shot in the ninth drew Ogden within one, but they dropped the game by a 9-8 final.
"Brandon put in really good work with hitting coach Seth Conner, and (hitting coordinator) Aaron Bates came in town and they were talking about letting the ball travel," said Raptors manager Austin Chubb. "Brandon did that, and he had a career night with three home runs. I think it's been a good thing to see his approach get better. He's laid off some tough pitches and gotten himself into better counts and he's really taking advantage of it."
"Awesome accomplishment for Brandon, obviously deserved it," said Conner. "He's done a good job. It felt like he cooled off a little bit before the All-Star game, but after the game he hasn't missed much. He's been working through some adjustments, and he's in a good spot right now."
The award for Lewis is the fifth given to a Raptors player so far in 2019. Andy Pages earned Player of the Week in consecutive weeks, June 24-30 and July 1-7, while Jeronimo Castro and Kevin Malisheski took Pitcher of the Week for July 8-14 and 15-21, respectively. The five weekly nods marks the most for Ogden in a single season since 2010, when five hitters and a pitcher took home honors.
The Raptors have three games remaining on their current homestand before beginning an eight-game road trip Saturday at the Rocky Mountain Vibes.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Vibes Dominate Game Two to Level Series - Great Falls Voyagers
- Rox Slide Extends to Four - Grand Junction Rockies
- Owlz Win Fourth Straight - Orem Owlz
- Offense Falls Flat in Orem - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Pitching Again Prevails for Mustangs in 3-2 Win - Billings Mustangs
- Lewis Honored as Player of the Week - Ogden Raptors
- First Extras Experience Kind to Raptors - Ogden Raptors
- Owlz Blast Chukars in Opener - Orem Owlz
- Owlz Floor Chukars in Middle Innings to Take Series Opener - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Voyagers Roast Vibes for Third Straight Win - Great Falls Voyagers
- Rox Shutout in Third Straight Loss - Grand Junction Rockies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.