Otters Leave Saturday as Division Champions
MARION, Ill. - The Evansville Otters clinched their first division title since 1999 on Saturday, earning the title of Frontier League West Division champions.
The Otters will head into the Frontier League postseason as the top seed, claiming home-field advantage.
On Saturday, Evansville fell 10-2 to the Southern Illinois Miners, but with the Florence Freedom's loss to the Windy City Thunderbolts, the Otters clinched the division title despite what happens on Sunday. Evansville owned the tiebreaker over Florence.
In Saturday's game, the Otters scored first in the first inning off Frank Moscatiello on a wild pitch, allowing Keith Grieshaber to score, giving the Otters a 1-0 lead.
The Miners' offensive explosion started in the bottom of the second, scoring four runs.
Gianfranco Wawoe had a bases-clearing three-RBI double and scored on a Jamey Smart RBI single to make it 4-1 Miners after two.
The Otters scored a run in the top of the third on a sac fly from Hunter Cullen, scoring Tanner Wetrich, cutting the Miners' lead 4-2.
Yeltsin Gudino responded for the Miners with a two-RBI single in the bottom of the third, making the score 6-2.
The Miners would add four more runs in the last 4.5 innings, winning by a score of 10-2.
Evansville starter Anthony Arias was given the loss, tossing 4.2 innings, allowing eight runs on 10 hits. His record falls to 2-2.
Frank Moscatiello was given the win, throwing seven innings, allowing two runs on three hits while tossing seven strikeouts. His record improves to 2-0.
With the Frontier League postseason field set, the Otters will travel to River City for the first two games of the Frontier League Divisional Series.
The last game of the regular season will be Sunday at 5:05 p.m. from Rent One Park in Marion, Ill.
Broadcast coverage can be found on the radio at 91.5 WUEV-FM or WUEV.org with Dave Nguyen (play-by-play) and Zane Clodfelter (analyst) on the call.
The Otters are celebrating their 25th anniversary season in 2019.
The Evansville Otters want to thank all fans and corporate partners for their support and help in making the Otters' 25th anniversary season a success.
To purchase a playoff pass or a group outing, call (812) 435-8686 or visit the Bosse Field front office at 23 Don Mattingly Way, Evansville, Ind. The front office is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Evansville Otters are the 2006 and 2016 Frontier League champions.
The Otters play all home games at historic Bosse Field, located at 23 Don Mattingly Way in Evansville, Ind. Stay up-to-date with the Evansville Otters by visiting evansvilleotters.com, or follow the Otters on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
For more information, visit evansvilleotters.com or call 812-435-8686.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Grizzlies Split Doubleheader with Washington - Gateway Grizzlies
- Freedom Streak Snapped in Regular Season Finale - Florence Y'alls
- Otters Leave Saturday as Division Champions - Evansville Otters
- Crushers Limited to One Run in Loss to Joliet - Lake Erie Crushers
- Wild Things and Grizzlies Split Doubleheader Saturday - Washington Wild Things
- ThunderBolts Close Season with Blowout Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Miners Bash Otters to Even Series - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Edged on Final Saturday - Schaumburg Boomers
- Rascals Hold off Boomers in Middle Game - River City Rascals
- Osby Pitches 10 Innings, Slammers Walk off to Beat Crushers 2-1 - Joliet Slammers
- Otters Tie Franchise Record with 57th Win - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.