ThunderBolts Close Season with Blowout Win
CRESTWOOD, IL - The ThunderBolts scored 11 runs in the fourth inning and a season-high 17 in the game as they won their season finale 17-1 over the Florence Freedom at Ozinga Field Saturday night.
The game was effectively out of reach after just four batters in the bottom of the first inning. Following two walks and a hit batter, Tyler Alamo hit a grand slam to put the ThunderBolts (42-54) ahead 4-0.
They added two more runs in the second inning as Tanner Gardner hit an RBI triple and scored on a Nate Montgomery single to make the score 6-0.
Joel Toribio was sharp on the mound for the Bolts. Making his first start of the year, he held Florence (scoreless for five innings, keeping the ThunderBolts ahead into the fourth, when they put it away.
Entering the game, the Bolts' season-high in runs was 11. They matched that in one inning Saturday, sending 17 men to the plate. Taisei Fukuhara, Nate Montgomery and Tyler Straub had RBI singles, but the big hit came from Christian Funk, who came up with the bases loaded and brought three men home on a double. All nine batters reached base at least once in the inning and by the end of it, the lead was 17-0.
The Freedom scraped across a run on a Connor Crane sacrifice fly in the sixth and neither team scored over the final three innings.
Toribio (4-2) earned the win and knuckleballer Chris Amend (0-1) walked seven and allowed 14 runs over 3.1 innings to take the loss.
The ThunderBolts end the season with the win, finishing the year with a 42-54 record. The Bolts will return to Frontier League action in May of 2020. All information regarding the team during the offseason, including the release of the 2020 schedule can be found at wcthunderbolts.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Grizzlies Split Doubleheader with Washington - Gateway Grizzlies
- Freedom Streak Snapped in Regular Season Finale - Florence Y'alls
- Otters Leave Saturday as Division Champions - Evansville Otters
- Crushers Limited to One Run in Loss to Joliet - Lake Erie Crushers
- Wild Things and Grizzlies Split Doubleheader Saturday - Washington Wild Things
- ThunderBolts Close Season with Blowout Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Miners Bash Otters to Even Series - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Edged on Final Saturday - Schaumburg Boomers
- Rascals Hold off Boomers in Middle Game - River City Rascals
- Osby Pitches 10 Innings, Slammers Walk off to Beat Crushers 2-1 - Joliet Slammers
- Otters Tie Franchise Record with 57th Win - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Windy City ThunderBolts Stories
- ThunderBolts Lead Start to Finish in Win over Schaumburg
- ThunderBolts Drop Second Straight to Schaumburg
- ThunderBolts Can't Overcome Early Deficit in 6-2 Loss
- ThunderBolts Come up Short in Rubber Game with Evansville
- Wiley's Pitching, Power Hitting Guide ThunderBolts to Win