Wild Things and Grizzlies Split Doubleheader Saturday
SAUGET, Il. (August 31) - After pounding out 14 hits and scoring 15 runs to aid Michael Austin's effort in his first complete game of his career and winning game one 15-1, the Wild Things dropped game two of Saturday's doubleheader at Gateway, 6-4.
Game one featured 14 Wild Things' hits, 12 Gateway pitching free passes issued and a 15-1 final, won by the Wild Things. Michael Austin tossed his first career complete game, scattering 11 hits over seven frames and one earned run, getting his sixth win of the campaign in his final start.
Washington had two, five-run innings in the victory, while six players drove in two or more runs, led by Stephen Lohr's four RBI with a grand slam in the seventh. Lohr also walked three times. JR Davis, Shaine Hughes, Cody Erickson, Terrence Pinkston and Brett Marr all knocked in two apiece. Pinkston had three doubles and his two RBI were the first two of his professional career.
Game two was a story of Gateway home runs, as the first four Grizzlies' runs came via solo shots, including the third inning starting with back-to-back-to-back solo homers from the eight, nine and one hitters. A pair of RBI hits after those in the game made the difference, as Washington managed three in the third before the four Grizzlies' runs in the bottom half. Washington brought the tying run to the plate after an RBI double by Drew Bene in the sixth, but inched no closer.
Washington and Gateway play a rubber game tomorrow for both teams' season finale. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. ET. The winner avoids the Frontier League's cellar.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Grizzlies Split Doubleheader with Washington - Gateway Grizzlies
- Freedom Streak Snapped in Regular Season Finale - Florence Y'alls
- Otters Leave Saturday as Division Champions - Evansville Otters
- Crushers Limited to One Run in Loss to Joliet - Lake Erie Crushers
- Wild Things and Grizzlies Split Doubleheader Saturday - Washington Wild Things
- ThunderBolts Close Season with Blowout Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Miners Bash Otters to Even Series - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Edged on Final Saturday - Schaumburg Boomers
- Rascals Hold off Boomers in Middle Game - River City Rascals
- Osby Pitches 10 Innings, Slammers Walk off to Beat Crushers 2-1 - Joliet Slammers
- Otters Tie Franchise Record with 57th Win - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Washington Wild Things Stories
- Lake Erie Sends RHP Jake Pilarski to Washington in Trade
- Schaumburg Wins Fourth Frontier League Title
- Washington Held to Four Hits in Game Four, Schaumburg Forces Game 5
- Washington's Walk-Off Victory Gives Wild Things a 2-1 FLCS Lead
- Czech's Late Homer Powers Washington to Win, FLCS Is Even