One Big Hit Downs RubberDucks
Erie SeaWolves right fielder Dylan Rosa hit a go-ahead, three-run home run in the fifth inning to help his team win a 3-2 rubber match over the Akron RubberDucks at UPMC Park in Erie, Pennsylvania, on Sunday afternoon.
The RubberDucks held a 1-0 lead into the fifth inning, and Erie had just one hit, while not moving a runner into scoring position against left-hander Adam Scott (4-4). SeaWolves designated hitter Kody Eaves hit a leadoff single, and catcher Chace Numata hit a one-out infield single. Rosa then homered to center field for the first home run in 10 Eastern League games for the Kent State University alumnus. Erie had only two hits and no runners in scoring position outside of the fifth inning, but the RubberDucks never put the tying run in scoring position the final four innings against the Erie bullpen.
Scott faced the minimum through three innings, erasing a first-inning walk and third-inning single with pickoffs of both runners. After three hits and three runs in the first four batters of the fifth inning, he recorded the second out before being removed. The 4 2/3-inning start was his shortest in 11 Eastern League starts. Right-hander Robert Broom allowed a bunt single and walk before ending the inning, and he worked 1 1/3 scoreless innings. Left-hander Ben Krauth pitched two shutout innings. For Erie, Skubal (2-1) struck out seven batters in five innings. Right-handers Alex Lange and Mark Ecker each pitched an inning, but Ecker allowed a run. Right-hander Drew Carlton went two innings for his 17th save.
Akron took a fourth-inning lead when Skubal walked first baseman Nellie Rodriguez and second baseman Andruw Monasterio, and third baseman Alexis Pantoja hit a two-out RBI single off the right-field wall. Shortstop Ernie Clement and designated hitter Nolan Jones hit consecutive singles against Ecker in the eighth, and Rodriguez hit a sacrifice fly.
Clement and Pantoja had their 27th and 30th multi-hit games of the season...Broom has pitched five straight scoreless outings (6 2/3 innings)...Akron is 11-26 in one-run games, including 2-3 against Erie...The SeaWolves have won each of the first five series between the clubs and lead the season series, 12-3. Erie will play the final four games of the season at Canal Park Aug. 30-Sept. 2...Time of game: 2:32...Attendance: 4,162.
On the Pond
The RubberDucks open a seven-game homestand and three-game series with Harrisburg at 7:05 p.m. EDT Monday. Akron LHP Sam Hentges (2-11, 5.23) is scheduled to face Senators RHP Eduardo Vera. The game broadcast, powered by FirstEnergy, is on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeartRadio channel, and the TuneIn Radio App, and available on MiLB.TV. Tickets for RubberDucks home games are available at akronrubberducks.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Curve Rallies Late to Top Baysox, 5-4 - Bowie Baysox
- Ryan Sets All-Time Wins Record as Curve Manager - Altoona Curve
- Rain Ends Weekend Series Early as Thunder Escape with 12-6 Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Thunder Rake Way to Rout of Reading - Trenton Thunder
- Gold, Jones & Boswell Lead Yard Goats to Road Sweep in Binghamton - Hartford Yard Goats
- One Big Hit Downs RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Rumble Ponies Swept by Yard Goats, Drop Sixth Straight - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Season-High 18 Hits Lead Fisher Cats to 10-1 Win over Portland - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- 'Cats Season-High 18 Hits in 10-1 Win over Portland - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rosa Powers First Place 'Wolves over Ducks - Erie SeaWolves
- Gutierrez Guides Squirrels to Series Sweep over Senators - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Richmond Sweeps Sens - Harrisburg Senators
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Akron RubberDucks - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #124: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (25-34, 60-63) vs. Hartford Yard Goats (27-28, 64-58) - 2:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 18th at New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Safe, Socially-Distanced Watch Party for St. Vincent-St. Mary vs. Archbishop Hoban Football Game September 25
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Third "Swing for Your Swag" Event Sunday, September 20
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Second Movie Night September 18 Featuring Black Panther
- Akron RubberDucks to Host First Movie Night of 2020 at Canal Park September 5
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Women in Sports Panel September 2