Gold, Jones & Boswell Lead Yard Goats to Road Sweep in Binghamton
Binghamton, NY - Yard Goats starting pitcher Brandon Gold fired eight solid innings, outfielder Mylz Jones drove in six runs, and outfielder Bret Boswell had three hits and scored three runs as Hartford completed its first sweep with an 8-1 victory against the Binghamton Rumble Ponies on Sunday afternoon at NYSEG Stadium in Binghamton, New York. Gold became the first ever Yard Goats pitcher to record 10 wins in a single season, and Jones tied current Rockies infielder Ryan McMahon with a franchise high 6 RBI. The Yard Goats have won a season-high five straight games and are now in third place and within four games of first place Reading. The Reading Fightin Phils will be in Hartford at Dunkin' Donuts Park for a four games series beginning next Thursday.
The Yard Goats scored two runs in the second inning off Binghamton starter Kevin Smith. Colton Welker began the rally with a double and later scored on a single by Mylz Jones. Later I the inning, Scott Burcham drove in Brett Boswell with a double to left field, giving Hartford a 2-0 lead.
The Yard Goats added a pair of runs in the third inning, as Hartford reached Smith for four consecutive hits. Tyler Nevin, Colton Welker and Brett Boswell all singled before Mylz Jones cracked a double, scoring two to give the Yard Goats a 4-0 lead. Hartford made it 7-1 in the fifth inning as Mylz Jones blasted a three-run homer off reliever Joseph Shaw.
Meanwhile, Yard Goats starter Brandon Gold was impressive and worked around three hits in the first three innings before retiring nine straight batters from the third to the sixth. He struck out Quinn Brodey for his team-leading 100th whiff of the season in the fourth inning. Gold was reached for a run in the seventh inning after a leadoff double by Andres Jimenez came around and scored. Gold pitched a season-high 8 innings and became the first Yard Goats pitcher to record 10 wins.
The Yard Goats start the second leg of the two-city six-game road trip on Monday night (6:30 PM) at People's Natural Gas Field in Altoona, Pennsylvania. The Yard Goats will return to Dunkin' Donuts Park next Thursday night (7:05 PM) and will host the Philadelphia Phillies affiliate, the Reading Fightin Phils. The game will be broadcast on AM 1410 WPOP and 100.9 FM and streamed on newsradio.1410.com and MiLB.com.
August 18, 2019
Final: Hartford Yard Goats 8, Binghamton Rumble Ponies 1
WP: Brandon Gold (10-5)
LP: Kevin Smith (3-2)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Curve Rallies Late to Top Baysox, 5-4 - Bowie Baysox
- Ryan Sets All-Time Wins Record as Curve Manager - Altoona Curve
- Rain Ends Weekend Series Early as Thunder Escape with 12-6 Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Thunder Rake Way to Rout of Reading - Trenton Thunder
- Gold, Jones & Boswell Lead Yard Goats to Road Sweep in Binghamton - Hartford Yard Goats
- One Big Hit Downs RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Rumble Ponies Swept by Yard Goats, Drop Sixth Straight - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Season-High 18 Hits Lead Fisher Cats to 10-1 Win over Portland - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- 'Cats Season-High 18 Hits in 10-1 Win over Portland - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rosa Powers First Place 'Wolves over Ducks - Erie SeaWolves
- Gutierrez Guides Squirrels to Series Sweep over Senators - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Richmond Sweeps Sens - Harrisburg Senators
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Akron RubberDucks - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #124: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (25-34, 60-63) vs. Hartford Yard Goats (27-28, 64-58) - 2:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 18th at New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.