Omaha Beef, Head Coach Bruce Cowdrey Part Ways
OMAHA - The Omaha Beef organization announced on Thursday that they have reached a mutual agreement to part ways with head coach Bruce Cowdrey.
"In the world of professional indoor football, sometimes you are forced to make business based decisions rather than football based decisions, this is one of those times," Director of Football Operations Todd Walkenhorst said. "Bruce is a great coach, great person and the ultimate professional. Unfortunately for the Beef, this was strictly a budgetary decision and in no way reflects on Bruce's coaching abilities. We have the greatest respect for coach Cowdrey."
"Omaha is a great city, and the Beef organization has a lot of tradition, a great fan base, a dedicated staff and most importantly, a lot of great athletes with a lot of heart who never quit during a challenging season" Cowdrey said. "I'm proud of these players and what they have accomplished so far this season, and expect continued great things from them for the rest of the season and beyond."
Cowdrey is a 36 year coaching veteran who won championships in the inaugural IFL, going 17-0 in 2000, as well as winning the 2002 AF2 title with the Peoria Pirates. He also won conference championships in 1999 (IFL) and 2004 (AF2). The two-time IFL coach of the year also has championship rings as an assistant coach with the CFL's Toronto rgonauts and the FL's Chicago Rush. Cowdrey also posted a 17-3 post season record as a head coach and assistant, to go along with the most playoff wins in AF2 history (7).
Omaha is one game back in the fight for the fourth playoff spot in the United Conference. The Beef (3-5) will visit the Wichita Wild (3-5) on Saturday night.
• Discuss this story on the Indoor Football League message board...
Indoor Football League Stories from May 3, 2012
- Omaha Beef, Head Coach Bruce Cowdrey Part Ways - Omaha Beef
- Express Looks to Keep Momentum in this Weeks Match-up against Steelhawks - Reading Express
- Celebrate Mother's Day Early with the Stars on May 12 - New Mexico Stars
- Morris Lolar, Kayne Farquharson on This Week in the IFL - IFL
- Mongo, Military, Mascots, and More - Chicago Slaughter
- Wichita Wild vs. Omaha Beef May 5th Game Preview - Wichita Wild
- Sioux Falls stays atop poll for eighth consecutive week - IFL
- Edge Set for Rematch with Green Bay Saturday at Home - Bloomington Edge
- Game Preview: Steelhawks at Express - Lehigh Valley Steelhawks
- Blizzard and Edge Battle Again - Green Bay Blizzard
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Beef Stories
- #NebraskaStrong Benefit Night with Omaha Beef Football
- CIF Championship Wide Receiver & NFL Camp Invite Added to 2019 Omaha Beef Roster
- Omaha Beef Announce Two Rookies & One Former NFL Player Signings
- Omaha Beef Announce Two More Player Signings
- Trio of Players Added to 2019 Omaha Beef Roster