Oilers Weekly Update
OFF TO A FAST START: The Tulsa Oilers jumped out to a quick 2-0 record to start the season with wins over the weekend against Allen and Texas. Tulsa routed the Americans 4-1 on Friday night, and then spoiled the Texas home opener with a 3-0 win over the Brahmas. The Oilers are 2-0 for the second straight year and for just the third time since 2002.
STEFFES AND QUEBEC BOYS LEAD THE WAY: The line of Gary Steffes, Michel Beausoleil, and Patrik Levesque combined for five goals and seven assists through the first two contests. Steffes, a CHL All-Rookie selection last season, had a Gordie Howe hat trick against Allen with a goal, an assist, and a fight. A native of Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, Levesque (luh-VECK) was a key offseason acquisition for the Oilers and wasted no time making his presence felt in the line-up with a goal and two assists in the win over Allen and an empty net marker to seal the victory over Texas. Beausoleil, a Montreal native, scored a power play goal in the second period in Allen, and leads all Oilers with three assists. Levesque and Steffes lead the CHL in the plus-minus category with a +4 rating while goalie Ian Keserich stopped 63 of the 64 shots he faced and registered his fifth career CHL shutout.
HOME OPENER THIS WEEKEND: The Oilers will begin their 20th season of CHL hockey in Tulsa on Friday, October 28th when they host the Wichita Thunder at 7:35pm. Fans will receive a special 20th Anniversary magnet schedule and ladies will receive discounted tickets. The rivalry between the Oilers and the Thunder is the oldest in the CHL as both clubs were part of the original CHL which was founded in 1992.
The Brahmas visit the BOK Center on Saturday, October 29th at 7:35pm as Texas takes on Tulsa for the second time in the span of a week. Fans will have another opportunity to receive 20th Anniversary magnet schedules as the Oilers try to make it two straight wins over the Brahmas.
Tickets for every Tulsa Oilers home game are available by calling 918-632-PUCK (7825).
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 6, 2011
- Rush Fall Just Short Against Mallards by 3-2 Score - Rapid City Rush
- Bucks Lose in Heartbreaker - Laredo Bucks
- Killer Bees Fall to Americans 4-3 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Mallards Drop Rush 3-2 - Quad City Mallards
- NYTEX Sports adds Tier 1 Hockey in New York - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Quad City's David McKee Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - CHL
- Mallards' McKee Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - Quad City Mallards
- Thunder to Find New Place on the Radio Dial - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Make Roster Moves - Kansas City Mavericks
- CHL-TV Introduces 5 and 10 Game Packs - CHL
- Dayton Gems Acquire Zulyniak in Trade with Missouri - Dayton Gems
- Area Family in Need to Receive a Dayton Gems Christmas - Dayton Gems
- Oilers Weekly Update - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tulsa Oilers Stories
- Oilers Weather Storm, Explode in Third to Defeat Idaho
- Eriksson Ek Shines in Overtime Loss to Steelheads
- Electric Third Period Lifts Oilers over Steelheads
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - January 13
- Oilers Ride Eriksson Ek's First Career Shutout to Win over Thunder