Mallards Drop Rush 3-2
MOLINE, Ill. (December 6, 2011) - Eric Giosa and John Snowden provided a power play goal and an assist apiece and David McKee made 28 saves as the host Quad City Mallards defeated the Rapid City Rush 3-2 Tuesday night. With the win- the Mallards' third in a row- Quad City moved its record over .500 to 9-8-0 on the season and leapfrogged Rapid City in the standings to take over fifth place in the Central Hockey League's Turner Conference.
The Mallards scored three straight special teams goals after falling behind 1-0. Quad City was shorthanded when Brandon Marino blasted the tying goal in under the cross bar from the top of the right wing circle at 6:35 of the second period. The Mallards snapped the 1-1 deadlock while on the power play when Giosa wristed the puck home from the high slot at 15:33 of the second.
With Quad City up 5-on-3, Snowden one timed what proved to be the game winning goal from the left wing circle at 11:36 of the third period.
The Rush would narrow the gap to 3-2 when Les Reaney jammed in a rebound with just over four minutes remaining in the third, but McKee and the Mallards held off Rapid City the rest of the way- even after the Rush pulled goaltender Danny Battochio for an extra attacker in the final minute.
The evening had started off promisingly for Rapid City when Michael Couch gave the Rush a 1-0 lead at 5:38 of the first period with a low drive from the top of the left wing circle, but it was the Mallards who would soon grab first the momentum and then the lead.
The Mallards return to action on home ice Friday night at 7:05 p.m. against the Missouri Mavericks. Friday evening will also see the Mallards team with Genesis Health System for Pink in the Rink Night. The Mallards will wear special pink jerseys during Friday's game. The jerseys will go up for bid in a live auction immediately following that contest. In addition, "Men of the Mallards" calendars will be on sale at the i wireless Center on Pink in the Rink Night. Proceeds from the jersey auction and calendar sales will benefit breast health services at Genesis. Calendars can be pre-ordered at http://genesishealth.com. Friday night will also see the first 1,000 fans through the doors for the Flock's clash with Missouri receive free Mallards/ORA Orthopedic Cowbells.
Single game tickets for all Mallards regular season home contests- including next Tuesday's game- are now available. Fans can contact the Mallards at (309) 277-1364 or email@example.com for more information about tickets.
Single game tickets are also available at the i wireless Center box office, at Ticketmaster outlets, through www.ticketmaster.com or through Ticketmaster charge-by-phone toll free. The box office is open weekdays from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and on game days from 10:00 a.m. until the start of the second period. Individual game tickets are available for $12 in the upper level and $17 in the lower level and $25 for the first row along the glass for adults. Tickets for kids 12 and under are available for $5 off adult rates. In addition, tickets are available to military personnel for $2 off the regular adult rate.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 6, 2011
- Rush Fall Just Short Against Mallards by 3-2 Score - Rapid City Rush
- Bucks Lose in Heartbreaker - Laredo Bucks
- Killer Bees Fall to Americans 4-3 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Mallards Drop Rush 3-2 - Quad City Mallards
- NYTEX Sports adds Tier 1 Hockey in New York - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Quad City's David McKee Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - CHL
- Mallards' McKee Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - Quad City Mallards
- Thunder to Find New Place on the Radio Dial - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Make Roster Moves - Kansas City Mavericks
- CHL-TV Introduces 5 and 10 Game Packs - CHL
- Dayton Gems Acquire Zulyniak in Trade with Missouri - Dayton Gems
- Area Family in Need to Receive a Dayton Gems Christmas - Dayton Gems
- Oilers Weekly Update - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings