Oilers Acquire Michael McNicholas in Exchange for Brent Gates
TULSA, OK - The Tulsa Oilers, proud ECHL affiliate of the NHL's Anaheim Ducks, announced Monday the acquisition of forward Michael McNicholas from the Indy Fuel in exchange for forward Brent Gates.
McNicholas, 27, joins the Oilers from Indy, where the forward collected 15 points (5G, 10A) in 25 appearances this season. McNicholas also made two appearances for Utah to start the season, posting one goal. The 27-year-old forward notched two assists and a +3 rating in the Fuel and Oilers three-game series at the BOK Center in January.
"McNicholas adds a proven goal scorer to our team," head coach Rob Murray said. "He thrives on the power play, and he is an excellent skater who brings some needed speed to the lineup."
In total, the 5'10, 175 lbs. forward has logged 155 ECHL games, compiling 108 points (30G, 78A) with Maine, Indy and Utah. The speedy forward also collected nine points (2G, 7A) in 15 games with Manglerud of the Norwegian league in 2018-19.
The Redondo Beach, CA native played collegiately at the University of New Hampshire, grabbing 80 points (22G, 58A) in 117 games with the Wildcats. The former Wildcat caught the eye of college scouts with a dominant BCHL career, posting 101 points (33G, 68A) in 91 games with Nanaimo and Vernon. McNicholas also played 48 games with Muskegon of the USHL, netting nine points (5G, 4A) in 48 games.
Gates, 23, has 38 points (16G, 22A) in 56 games with Tulsa over the past two seasons. The Grand Rapids, MI native has 28 career AHL games with San Diego, registering eight points (5G, 3A) with the Gulls.
The Oilers host the Rapid City Rush three times this week, starting on Friday at 7:05 p.m. The Oilers follow up on Saturday night at the same time before closing the week out with a 4:05 p.m. Sunday Family Funday game. Tickets are still available for all three games, but seating is limited.
ECHL TV has a new provider for the 2020-21 season. We are proud to partner with FloHockey, which provides subscribers with plenty of content. Watch live events across all screens by downloading the FloSports app on iOS, Android, Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire and Chromecast. To become a subscriber, click here.
Michael McNicholas with the Indy Fuel
Oilers Season and Group Tickets are on sale now! Call the Oilers front office at 918-632-PUCK (7825) or visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
Images from this story
Forward Michael McNicholas with the Indy Fuel
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 5, 2021
- Adam Carlson Earns Warrior Goaltender of the Month - Rapid City Rush
- Wichita Takes Game One of Weekend Pair - Rapid City Rush
- Rush Fall in Overtime to End Weekend Series - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Transactions - April 5 - ECHL
- Bear Bites - Solar Bears Update - Orlando Solar Bears
- Komets Take Home Two More Wins - Fort Wayne Komets
- Rays Announce Multiple Transactions - South Carolina Stingrays
- Oilers Acquire Michael McNicholas in Exchange for Brent Gates - Tulsa Oilers
- Fuel Complete Trade with Tulsa for Brent Gates - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Weekly Report - April 5 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Allen Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- Thunder Weekly, April 5 - Wichita Thunder
- Everblades Take Two of Three in Orlando, Four-Game Week Ahead - Florida Everblades
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 17 - Indy Fuel
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.