Nuts Continue to Avoid Their First Shutout of the Year
Modesto, CA - A single tally in the ninth inning got the Modesto Nuts on the board in their 12-1 loss against the Fresno Grizzlies on Thursday night at John Thurman Field.
Ty Duvall started the bottom of the ninth inning with a single for the Modesto Nuts (20-13). After getting to third following a hit by pitch and a double play, Duvall scored on a wild pitch with Noelvi Marte at the plate.
The Nuts have still not been shutout this season.
That was all the Nuts could push across in the loss to the Grizzlies (22-11) who did their damage in the first inning.
Robert Winslow (L, 0-3) started the game for the Nuts and hit the first batter of the night. He then walked Zac Veen before the Grizzlies gave him his only out with a sacrifice bunt. After that, the next nine Grizzlies reached safely helping to knock Winslow out of the game after 0.1 inning while being charged with nine runs on seven hits.
Leon Hunter Jr. followed out of the bullpen and threw well over 3.2 scoreless innings. Brayan Perez worked three scoreless frames and struck out three batters.
Mitchell Kilkenny (W, 3-2) heaved five scoreless frames for the Grizzlies. The righty worked around some trouble stranding seven baserunners and holding the Nuts to 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position. Kilkenny struck out three and walked three.
Game four of the six-game series between the Nuts and Grizzlies is on Friday night at John Thurman Field. First pitch is at 7:05 pm.
• Discuss this story on the Low-A West League message board...
Low-A West League Stories from June 11, 2021
- Rawhide Open Valley Strong Ballpark to Full Capacity - Visalia Rawhide
- LoanMart Scholarship Deadline Extended - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Rawhide Snap Ten-Game Losing Skid with 4-2 Win over Sixers - Inland Empire 66ers
- Storm Drop a Hard Fought Battle in Lake Elsinore - Lake Elsinore Storm
- Grizzlies Go Nuts in First Inning, Shell Modesto 12-1 Thursday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Ports Pound Giants, Win Streak Snapped at Four - San Jose Giants
- Ports Snap Skid in Style with 14-5 Romp over Giants - Stockton Ports
- Nuts Continue to Avoid Their First Shutout of the Year - Modesto Nuts
- Lewis Bomb Leads Quakes to Win - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.