Ports Snap Skid in Style with 14-5 Romp over Giants
STOCKTON, Ca.- The Ports hit four home runs and set a season season high in runs scored en route to snapping a five game losing streak with a 14-5 win over the San Jose Giants on Thursday night at Banner Island Ballpark.
Tyler Soderstrom got the Ports (13-20) on the board in the bottom of the first with Stockton's first home run, a solo blast to right-center field to make it 1-0.
Trailing 3-1 going into the bottom of the fifth after San Jose (21-12) scored single runs in the third, fourth and fifth, the Ports took the lead for good with a six-run frame. Cooper Uhl and Joshwan Wright began the inning with back-to-back singles to right field, and Brayan Buelvas reached on an error to load the bases. A walk to Sahid Valenzuela brought home a run to make it 3-2, and Soderstrom tied the game at three with a line drive single to right field. After Danny Bautista popped out, Lawrence Butler followed with the big swing of the day, a grand slam to straight away center field to put the Ports up 7-3.
Buelvas and Soderstrom each added two-run shots, both to left-center field, in the bottom of the sixth. The Ports got two more in the seventh when Valenzuela was hit by a pitch and Soderstrom drew a walk with the bases loaded, and Uhl added an RBI double in the ninth in Stockton's best offensive output of the season.
Jack Cushing (1-0) got the win for Stockton, giving up five runs on eight hits in five innings while striking out six. Haydn King (1-1) took the loss for the Giants, allowing eight runs in two innings.
The Ports will try for back-to-back wins on Friday in game four of this six-game series with first pitch at 7:05 pm.
• Discuss this story on the Low-A West League message board...
Low-A West League Stories from June 11, 2021
- Rawhide Open Valley Strong Ballpark to Full Capacity - Visalia Rawhide
- LoanMart Scholarship Deadline Extended - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Rawhide Snap Ten-Game Losing Skid with 4-2 Win over Sixers - Inland Empire 66ers
- Storm Drop a Hard Fought Battle in Lake Elsinore - Lake Elsinore Storm
- Grizzlies Go Nuts in First Inning, Shell Modesto 12-1 Thursday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Ports Pound Giants, Win Streak Snapped at Four - San Jose Giants
- Ports Snap Skid in Style with 14-5 Romp over Giants - Stockton Ports
- Nuts Continue to Avoid Their First Shutout of the Year - Modesto Nuts
- Lewis Bomb Leads Quakes to Win - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.