Moss, Biscuits Shut Down Generals, 5-1
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The Biscuits (58-50) beat the Jackson Generals (58-49), 5-1, on Golden Biscuits Monday at Riverwalk Stadium. Montgomery starting pitcher Benton Moss (4-4) spun a complete game, holding Jackson to one run en route to his fourth victory of the season.
Although the Generals charged ahead in the second inning -- taking the lead on an RBI-single by Marty Herum -- the Biscuits' bats came alive in the fifth.
Nathan Lukes ignited the offense on a one-out double off Jackson starter Joel Payamps (9-4). After Nick Solak drew a four-pitch walk, Montgomery's center fielder came around to score, thanks to Nate Lowe. Lowe smacked a Payamps offering off the left-field wall, scoring Lukes and Solak to supply the Biscuits the lead. Jake Cronenworth added a third run, plating Lowe on an RBI-single with two outs.
Despite the three runs being all that was needed for Moss, Peter Maris added an insurance score in the sixth with an RBI-single. Montgomery's left fielder picked up his second RBI of the contest, widening the gash to 5-1 with another base knock in the eighth.
Moss continued to cruise with the Biscuits ahead. The right-hander retired the last 18-of-20 Jackson hitters and notched three strikeouts in the final three innings.
The Biscuits continue a five-game homestand against Jackson Tuesday at 6:35 p.m. during Dough Fest at Riverwalk Stadium. Montgomery will start Genesis Cabrera (7-6) while the Generals are projected to offer Barry Enright (NR).
The series concludes on Military Wednesday with Business Person Specials on August 1.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 30, 2018
- Wahoos Snap Skid with 6-3 Win - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Barons Fall 3-0 in Pitching Battle - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Shutout by Lookouts on Monday - Tennessee Smokies
- Moss, Biscuits Shut Down Generals, 5-1 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Lucky Third Brings Game Three Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- RHP Kyle Wright Promoted to Triple-A Gwinnett, RHP Connor Johnstone Activated from the Disabled List - Mississippi Braves
- Didder, Wright Earn Weekly Honors - Mississippi Braves
- Angels Top Prospect Jo Adell Joins BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- Trey Supak Named Southern League Pitcher of the Week - Biloxi Shuckers
- Southern League Announces Weekly Award Winners: July 23-29 - SL
- Biloxi to Host 2019 Southern League All-Star Game - Biloxi Shuckers
- Generals Rally for One-Run Win at Montgomery - Jackson Generals
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.