Smokies Shutout by Lookouts on Monday
SEVIERVILLE, TN - The Chattanooga Lookouts defeated the Tennessee Smokies 3-0 on Monday night at Smokies Stadium. Tennessee's offense recorded five hits and two walks, but the Smokies were never able to drive a run in.
Chattanooga scored the first run of the game on an RBI-double in the top of the third, making it 1-0 Lookouts. They would add two more runs on a pair of RBI-singles later in the frame, putting the Smokies in a 3-0 hole. Charcer Burks and Ian Rice led the Tennessee offense with two hits each. Zack Short and Yasiel Balaguert also added base knocks.
Duncan Robinson started on the mound for Tennessee. Robinson pitched 5.0 innings, allowing three runs on seven hits and two walks. He added one strikeout in his 21st start of the season. Robinson has now thrown at least 5.0 innings in 16 out of his last 17 outings. Zach Hedges relieved Robinson to start the sixth inning.
Hedges threw 2.0 innings, giving up no runs and just two hits. Wyatt Short came in after Hedges and pitched a scoreless frame, allowing one hit while striking out two. Short handed the ball to Jake Stinnett, who threw a scoreless ninth inning for Tennessee. Stinnett also struck out a batter.
Tennessee and Chattanooga will meet for the fourth game of the series on Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. The Smokies are set to start Matt Swarmer (2-3, 4.10 ERA) as their pitcher and the Lookouts are going to counter Swarmer with Dietrich Enns (0-5, 6.00 ERA). Swarmer is coming off a win against Birmingham on July 26. He gave up two runs on six hits in 5.2 innings on the bump. Swarmer is holding batters to a .224 batting average in July.
Written by Blake Von Hagen, Broadcast Assistant for the Tennessee Smokies
The full schedule for this season and information regarding single-game tickets, season tickets, and mini plans can be found online at smokiesbaseball.com, or by calling the Smokies Ticket Office at 865-286-2300.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 30, 2018
- Wahoos Snap Skid with 6-3 Win - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Barons Fall 3-0 in Pitching Battle - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Shutout by Lookouts on Monday - Tennessee Smokies
- Moss, Biscuits Shut Down Generals, 5-1 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Lucky Third Brings Game Three Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- RHP Kyle Wright Promoted to Triple-A Gwinnett, RHP Connor Johnstone Activated from the Disabled List - Mississippi Braves
- Didder, Wright Earn Weekly Honors - Mississippi Braves
- Angels Top Prospect Jo Adell Joins BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- Trey Supak Named Southern League Pitcher of the Week - Biloxi Shuckers
- Southern League Announces Weekly Award Winners: July 23-29 - SL
- Biloxi to Host 2019 Southern League All-Star Game - Biloxi Shuckers
- Generals Rally for One-Run Win at Montgomery - Jackson Generals
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tennessee Smokies Stories
- Boyd Sports Announces Travel Baseball Series
- Roy Halladay Inducted into the Southern League Hall of Fame
- Smokies to Host Annual Job Fair at Smokies
- Tennessee Smokies Announce Opening of Performance Center
- Smokies to Give Away Opening Night Tickets to Those Affected by Government Shutdown