Southern League Announces Weekly Award Winners: July 23-29
July 30, 2018 - Southern League (SL) News Release
MARIETTA, GA - The Southern League of Professional Baseball Clubs are proud to announce that Chattanooga Lookouts hitter Brent Rooker has been named Player of the Week and Biloxi Shuckers starter Trey Supak has been named Pitcher of the Week. Both awards recognize these players' performances for games during the week of July 23-29.
Rooker, 23, receives his first Player of the Week selection following a week in which he led the Southern League in batting average (.500), total bases (24), and on-base percentage (.606). Appearing in all seven games for the Lookouts, Rooker also finished among the league leaders in a number of offensive categories including hits (13, T-1st), extra-base hits (5, T-2nd), slugging percentage (.923, 2nd), and OPS (1.529, 2nd).
A native of Germantown, Tennessee, Rooker leads all qualified Southern League batters since June 1 with 63 hits, 126 total bases, and a stout 1.025 OPS. Having appeared in 100 games for Chattanooga this year, Rooker currently ranks among the season-long league leaders in home runs (20, 2nd), RBI (67, T-1st), hits (109, T-2nd), and total bases (205, 2nd). He is currently listed as the Minnesota Twins no. 7 prospect according to MLB Pipeline.
Supak, 22, earns Pitcher of the Week honors following a pair of strong starts for Biloxi. On Monday the Bryan, Texas native matched his career high by tossing eight innings; allowing no earned runs and striking out five while surrendering just two hits and one walk. Supak followed up that performance on Saturday evening, picking up the win for the Shuckers after allowing two earned runs across five innings of work.
A 2018 midseason All-Star in the Hi-A Carolina League, Supak was promoted to the Southern League in late May and has now logged 11 total starts for Biloxi. Through five outings in July, the La Grange High School (TX) product is 2-2 with a 2.77 ERA. He is listed by MLB Pipeline as the Milwaukee Brewers no. 17 overall prospect.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 30, 2018
- Wahoos Snap Skid with 6-3 Win - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Barons Fall 3-0 in Pitching Battle - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Shutout by Lookouts on Monday - Tennessee Smokies
- Moss, Biscuits Shut Down Generals, 5-1 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Lucky Third Brings Game Three Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- RHP Kyle Wright Promoted to Triple-A Gwinnett, RHP Connor Johnstone Activated from the Disabled List - Mississippi Braves
- Didder, Wright Earn Weekly Honors - Mississippi Braves
- Angels Top Prospect Jo Adell Joins BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- Trey Supak Named Southern League Pitcher of the Week - Biloxi Shuckers
- Southern League Announces Weekly Award Winners: July 23-29 - SL
- Biloxi to Host 2019 Southern League All-Star Game - Biloxi Shuckers
- Generals Rally for One-Run Win at Montgomery - Jackson Generals
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.