Wahoos Snap Skid with 6-3 Win
PENSACOLA, Fla. - Tony Santillan (W, 4-0) struck out a season-high 11 over 5.2 shut-out innings, and the Wahoos rattled off 13 hits in their 6-3 win, Monday night at Blue Wahoos Stadium.
Despite allowing baserunners in each of the first four innings, he held the Shuckers to three hits and racked up seven strikeouts as he entered the fifth. That is where he got his first 1-2-3 inning and finished off the frame by striking out Troy Stokes Jr. and Keston Hiura for his eighth and ninth of the game. After his 97th and final pitch, Santillan exited the game with 11 strikeouts and walked off the mound to a standing ovation. He retired the final six batters he faced, five on strikeouts.
The Wahoos struck quickly against Jon Perrin (L, 0-2) who was making a spot start for the Shuckers after Kodi Medeiros was traded to the White Sox last week. In the first inning, Aristides Aquino singled to right to score Jose Siri, giving the Wahoos a quick 1-0 lead. The Wahoos didn't waste any time extending their lead adding four runs in the bottom of the second. Jose Siri and TJ Friedl both had RBI singles, pushing the lead to 3-0. Siri scored on a throwing error after swiping his third stolen base of the game. Taylor Featherston continued his hot start with the Wahoos with an RBI single in the inning to make it 5-0. Featherston and Siri led the way offensively for the Wahoos, combining for six hits and three runs driven in. Siri scored three runs of his own to go along with his three stolen bases.
The Wahoos will look to even up the series on Tuesday. RHP Daniel Wright (6-6, 3.70) will take the mound for the Wahoos against Shuckers starter, LHP Cameron Roegner (0-0, 0.00). Tuesday's game can be found on the radio at 97.1 The Ticket/1490 AM Milton, CST, and www.bluewahoos.com. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 30, 2018
- Wahoos Snap Skid with 6-3 Win - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Barons Fall 3-0 in Pitching Battle - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Shutout by Lookouts on Monday - Tennessee Smokies
- Moss, Biscuits Shut Down Generals, 5-1 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Lucky Third Brings Game Three Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- RHP Kyle Wright Promoted to Triple-A Gwinnett, RHP Connor Johnstone Activated from the Disabled List - Mississippi Braves
- Didder, Wright Earn Weekly Honors - Mississippi Braves
- Angels Top Prospect Jo Adell Joins BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- Trey Supak Named Southern League Pitcher of the Week - Biloxi Shuckers
- Southern League Announces Weekly Award Winners: July 23-29 - SL
- Biloxi to Host 2019 Southern League All-Star Game - Biloxi Shuckers
- Generals Rally for One-Run Win at Montgomery - Jackson Generals
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Pensacola Blue Wahoos Stories
- Blue Wahoos to Give Team Bus to Charity
- Blue Wahoos Name Chris Garagiola as Team Broadcaster
- Tommy Thrall to Join Reds Broadcast Team in 2019
- Blue Wahoos Stadium to Introduce Concessions Storefronts in 2019
- Minnesota Twins Caravan to Visit Pensacola January 31