Angels Top Prospect Jo Adell Joins BayBears
MOBILE, Ala. - The Los Angeles Angels announced Monday that outfielder Jo Adell will join the Mobile BayBears from Class A Advanced Inland Empire. Adell is the No. 1 Angels prospect, the No. 16 Major League prospect, and the No. 4 outfield prospect, according to MLB Pipeline.
Adell, 19, was selected by the Angels in the first round (No. 10 overall) of the 2017 MLB Draft out of Ballard High School in Louisville, Ky. He recently represented the Angels in the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game at Nationals Park.
After being named a MiLB.com Organization All-Star in his first professional season last year, Adell has slashed .300/.360/.565 this year with 18 home runs, 71 RBIs, 48 extra-base hits, and 13 stolen bases in 82 games combined between Burlington and Inland Empire. He was the California League Player of the Week on May 20 and June 17, and he was additionally named the circuit's Player of the Month in June. In 131 Minor League games, Adell has a .310 average with 23 home runs and 101 RBIs.
Exactly 14 months ago, on May 30 last year, Adell was named the Gatorade Kentucky Baseball Player of the Year. As a senior, he led all high school hitters with 25 home runs and posted a .562 batting average with 61 RBIs, 22 stolen bases, and 53 runs scored.
With the addition of Adell, six of MLB Pipeline's Top 10 Angels prospects have now been members of the BayBears this season. Adell is currently one of two on Mobile's active roster, joining second baseman Jahmai Jones (No. 4 prospect).
The BayBears will resume a suspended game against the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Monday at 5:05 p.m. CDT, with Mobile batting in a scoreless game with one out in the bottom of the first. Monday's originally scheduled contest will be a seven-inning game, beginning approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of the suspended game. Live coverage of the games can be seen on MiLB.tv (subscription required, promo code: BAYBEARS) and heard on the BayBears Broadcast Network, the TuneIn Radio App, and the MiLB First Pitch App, with the Countdown to First Pitch starting at 4:45 p.m.
The BayBears host a total of 70 home dates through Labor Day, September 3. Single-game tickets and ticket packages are currently on sale. Group and hospitality offerings for the 2018 season can be reserved by calling (251) 479-BEAR (2327).
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 30, 2018
- Wahoos Snap Skid with 6-3 Win - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Barons Fall 3-0 in Pitching Battle - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Shutout by Lookouts on Monday - Tennessee Smokies
- Moss, Biscuits Shut Down Generals, 5-1 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Lucky Third Brings Game Three Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- RHP Kyle Wright Promoted to Triple-A Gwinnett, RHP Connor Johnstone Activated from the Disabled List - Mississippi Braves
- Didder, Wright Earn Weekly Honors - Mississippi Braves
- Angels Top Prospect Jo Adell Joins BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- Trey Supak Named Southern League Pitcher of the Week - Biloxi Shuckers
- Southern League Announces Weekly Award Winners: July 23-29 - SL
- Biloxi to Host 2019 Southern League All-Star Game - Biloxi Shuckers
- Generals Rally for One-Run Win at Montgomery - Jackson Generals
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.