Generals Rally for One-Run Win at Montgomery
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The Jackson Generals, the Double-A affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks, nabbed a 3-2 comeback victory over the Montgomery Biscuits on Sunday evening at Riverwalk Stadium. The Generals (58-48, 19-18 Second Half) rallied from behind for the 24th time this season, gaining a 2-0 series lead on Montgomery (57-50, 20-17 Second Half).
Justin Donatella (5-6, 3.51 ERA) entered this series with a 2.35 ERA against the Biscuits in 2018, and he lowered it with a six-inning haul that featured only two runs against him. Montgomery got to Donatella for a run in the fourth and another in the fifth, but he finished the sixth with a 1-2-3 exit. Three bulls from the Generals' pen---tonight named Kevin Ginkel, Daniel Gibson, and Yoan Lopez (S, 8)---gave up only one hit between them. It's the second consecutive night that the bullpen ceded one hit to the Biscuits' offense.
In their second consecutive win over the Biscuits, the Generals doubled four times, including twice in the first inning. Back-to-back two-out two-baggers from Domingo Leyba and Jamie Westbrook helped Jackson take a 1-0 lead in the opening frame. With Montgomery's Brandon Lawson in the game, Jackson didn't score for another four innings, but a blooped single in the sixth from Westbrook scored Kevin Medrano to tie the game at 2-2. The game-winning blow came on an RBI double in the seventh from Medrano, plating Marty Herum with the go-ahead run. The Generals rallied to win despite five different hitters leaving one or more runners stranded in scoring position with two outs.
NEXT GENERALS GAME:
6:35 pm CT Monday (7/30) vs. Montgomery Biscuits
Riverwalk Stadium - Montgomery, Ala.
RHP Joel Payamps (9-3, 2.74 ERA) vs. RHP Benton Moss (3-4, 4.30 ERA)
Broadcast Link: Montgomery Biscuits Baseball Network
UP AND COMING AT THE BALLPARK:
August 2-6 vs. Tennessee Smokies (AA, Chicago Cubs)
...featuring Disney Night (August 4) and Belly Buster Monday (August 6)!
August 14-18 vs. Montgomery Biscuits (AA, Tampa Bay Rays)
...featuring Shark Week Night (August 18)!
Games 1 and 2 of the North Division Series
will be held at The Ballpark at Jackson on September 5 and 6.
For tickets and more information about the Generals, dial 731.988.5299 or log on to JacksonGeneralsBaseball.com!
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 30, 2018
- Wahoos Snap Skid with 6-3 Win - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Barons Fall 3-0 in Pitching Battle - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Shutout by Lookouts on Monday - Tennessee Smokies
- Moss, Biscuits Shut Down Generals, 5-1 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Lucky Third Brings Game Three Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- RHP Kyle Wright Promoted to Triple-A Gwinnett, RHP Connor Johnstone Activated from the Disabled List - Mississippi Braves
- Didder, Wright Earn Weekly Honors - Mississippi Braves
- Angels Top Prospect Jo Adell Joins BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- Trey Supak Named Southern League Pitcher of the Week - Biloxi Shuckers
- Southern League Announces Weekly Award Winners: July 23-29 - SL
- Biloxi to Host 2019 Southern League All-Star Game - Biloxi Shuckers
- Generals Rally for One-Run Win at Montgomery - Jackson Generals
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.