Mitchell Helps Sox Knock AirHogs out of First
AMARILLO, Texas - When the Grand Prairie AirHogs swept the Laredo Lemurs in a doubleheader on June 11, they took over first place in the South Division in the American Association. From that day until Friday, the AirHogs remained in first. But after losing to Ryan Mitchell and the Amarillo Sox 7-3 at Amarillo National Bank Sox Stadium and the Lemurs' doubleheader sweep of the El Paso Diablos, the AirHogs fell a half a game behind Laredo for first in the South.
The AirHogs (48-44) had leads of 1-0 and 2-1, but the Sox (42-49) kept coming offensively, getting a run in each of the third, fourth and fifth innings, before two in the sixth and two in the seventh put the game away.
Mitchell (8-3) held the AirHogs to just seven baserunners in eight innings, and did not allow more than one hit in an inning.
After briefly falling behind 3-2 after five, Andres Rodriguez's sacrifice fly tied the game in the sixth. But the AirHogs would not score again against Mitchell and Wes Littleton, while Amarillo took the lead for good in the bottom half.
A bounced throw by shortstop Yasutsugu Nishimoto opened the door for the Sox, and after a fielder's choice and a ground-rule double by Derrick Pyles, ninth-placed hitter Jake Luce lined an 0-1 pitch for a two-run single to give Amarillo the lead for good.
In the seventh, Tim Alberts started the frame with a bad-hop single off the lip of the infield grass, and after a fielder's choice, Tyler Goodro (who had struck out his first three times) lined the first pitch down the rightfield line for an RBI double to knock out AirHogs starter Jake Cowan (0-2). Derrick Miramontes got the second out, but Chuck Lofgren lined a single to right to bring in Goodro and give Amarillo its last insurance run.
Notes: Keanon Simon had two hits and stole three bases, scoring two of the three AirHogs runs.The bottom six hitters in the AirHogs lineup went 2-for-24.Grand Prairie went 0-for-13 with runners on base in the game, but scored all their runs via outs.Five of Cowan's six strikeouts were against Goodro and Garrett Rau.Cowan pitched into the seventh for the first time in five starts with the AirHogs.
The 2011 American Association Champion Grand Prairie AirHogs continue their three-game series against the Amarillo Sox on Saturday, August 25, at 7:05 p.m. The next home game at QuikTrip Park is Tuesday, August 28, at 7:05 p.m. against the Sioux Falls Pheasants. All games are aired live and for free on Ustream by clicking on the link on the AirHogs' home page or visiting http://www.ustream.tv/channel/airhogs-baseball with selected contests aired on Time Warner Cable's Texas Channel. For information on tickets, promotions, advertising, and other opportunities with the AirHogs, check out the Web site at www.airhogsbaseball.com, or call the QuikTrip Park office at (972) 504-9383.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 25, 2012
- American Association Results - AA
- RailCats Top Wingnuts 9-6 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Bats held down again as 'Hogs' deficit grows - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs Win Ninth in a Row - Laredo Lemurs
- Laredo Downs El Paso Again As Diablos Fall To Four Games Back - El Paso Diablos
- T-Bones' Offense Struggles in Loss to Fargo - Kansas City T-Bones
- Goldeyes Back on Top in Wild Card Hunt - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Lose Battle of Aces, 5-2 to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Shirley wins 300th with Sioux Falls - Sioux Falls Canaries
- X's Fall to Pheasants - Sioux City Explorers
- Javier Stymies 'Dogs as Newark Evens Series - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Goldeyes Sign Canadian Wynn - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Add Former Second Round Pick - Wichita Wingnuts
- RedHawks Acquire Massingham, Sign Casper in Deadline Deals - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Mitchell Helps Sox Knock AirHogs out of First - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Results - AA
- Lemurs Sweep Doubleheader From Diablos, Including Walk Off In Nightcap - El Paso Diablos
- Four Home Runs Powers RedHawks Past T-Bones - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs