Mistakes Cost AirHogs Chance to Gain Ground
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - Former Grand Prairie AirHog Jake Taylor hit a two-out, go-ahead triple in the top of the ninth and scored on a passed ball as the Sioux Falls Pheasants beat the Grand Prairie AirHogs 6-4 at QuikTrip Park on Wednesday to keep the AirHogs from gaining ground on Laredo, which lost to Fargo-Moorhead.
The AirHogs (49-47) took the lead on an unearned run in the first, but Sioux Falls (43-52) got those back and more in the third with three runs on five hits against Josh Strawn.
Jonny Kaplan's RBI single in the fourth brought Grand Prairie to within one, but Reggie Abercrombie's two-out single after an error and a wild pitch made it 4-2 in the fifth.
Sioux Falls starter Mark Michael threw 110 pitches in six innings, striking out six with two walks and one earned run allowed, while going to 3-2 10 different times. With him out, the AirHogs got to the Pheasants' bullpen, getting two hits off Dan Cooper before Jairo Perez broke a long slump with a two-run double to right to tie the game with two outs in the bottom of the seventh against Kyle Mertins (3-1).
Strawn struck out a career-high nine in 6 2/3 innings, and Ronnie Morales (4-4) got the next six outs, but the lefty walked Trevor Lawhorn with two outs in the ninth. Up stepped Taylor, who lined the first pitch over the reach of Trent Lockwood in right.
Up 6-4, Sioux Falls closer Alan DeRatt got the first two outs of the bottom of the ninth, before walking Keanon Simon on four pitches. But after throwing ball one, Yasutsugu Nishimoto hit a soft liner back to DeRatt, ending the game and giving the righty his fourth save.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 30, 2012
- Sinnery's Impressive Streak Ends, Caps Edge 'Dogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Playoff Spot Inches Closer for Goldeyes Despite Lopsided Loss - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Drop Saints 5-4 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- It's Bad, Saints Lose 5-4 to RailCats, Near Elimination - St. Paul Saints
- Pheasants Hit Hard in Grand Prairie - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Delgado Blast Lifts RedHawks Past Lemurs, 2-1 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Sox offense continues to struggle, falls to T-Bones 8-4 - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Diablos Drop Final Road Game Of 2012 To Wingnuts - El Paso Diablos
- Lemurs Loss a Heartbreaker - Laredo Lemurs
- Tim Johnson Named Manager of the Year - El Paso Diablos
- Wingnuts Partner with Sonic to Benefit Local Classrooms - Wichita Wingnuts
- Despite Penalties, Saints Will Collect Bounty for Big Hits - St. Paul Saints
- Michael Jackson's Three Children Visit Steel Yard - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- American Association Results - AA
- Mistakes Cost AirHogs Chance to Gain Ground - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Goodwin's Monster Night Leads T-Bones in Blowout Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- Goldeyes can't outscore Explorers - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RedHawks Rout Lemurs 11-1 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Pheasants Ninth-Inning Heroics Beat Grand Prairie - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs