Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: October 24, 2020
COMMERCE CITY, COLO. - The Colorado Rapids (5-5-4, 19 points) continue their push for the playoffs when they visit Minnesota United FC (7-5-6, 27 points) on Wednesday, Oct. 28. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. MT at Allianz Field.
This will be the Rapids' second match in four days following their month-long layoff due to safety precautions surrounding COVID-19 and continues a span of five matches in 16 days, four of them on the road.
Wednesday will be the second meeting of the season between these teams. The Rapids and Loons played to a 2-2 draw at the MLS is Back Tournament in Orlando. NicolÃ¡s Benezet found Kei Kamara for the game's opening goal before an Ethan Finlay brace put the Loons up 2-1. Jonathan Lewis equalized for Colorado in the 59th minute.
The Rapids traded Kamara to Minnesota on Sept. 19 in exchange for $150,000 in General Allocation Money and a second-round pick in the 2022 MLS SuperDraft.
The Loons enter the match on a five-game unbeaten run, most recently defeating FC Cincinnati, 1-0, with a stoppage-time goal from Aaron Schoenfield.
Kevin Molino leads Minnesota with seven goals, while Jan Gregus leads the team with six assists.
Colorado enters the match following a 4-0 defeat at Sporting Kansas City on Saturday, the Rapids' first match in a month. Goalkeeper William Yarbrough made a season-high eight saves.
Saturday's match will be broadcast live on Altitude Sports and Altitude Sports Radio 92.5 FM.
The Rapids host their final home game of the regular season on Sunday, Nov. 1, when they host the Seattle Sounders at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park.
News & Notes
Colorado boasts the second-best road record* in the Western Conference and the fourth-best on MLS, with 3 wins, 2 losses and 1 draw. The Rapids are one of six teams with winning records on the road. (*Does not include MLS is Back Tournament matches.)
Homegrown midfielder Cole Bassett is fifth in MLS with .55 assists per 90 minutes (4 assists in 655 minutes). Forward Jonathan Lewis is sixth in MLS with .82 goals per 90 minutes (5 goals in 551 minutes).
Midfielder Younes Namli's 56 dribbles completed are the second-most in MLS.
Rapids players under the age of 22 have earned 2,193 of Colorado's 12,824 individual minutes played, which is the sixth-highest percentage in MLS. 20-year-old Braian GalvÃ¡n has played 180 minutes, while 19-year-old Cole Bassett has played 665 minutes. 21-year-old Homegrown Sam Vines is the only Rapid to have played all 1,260 minutes in 2020.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 27, 2020
- Leal Goal Downs Impact - Montreal Impact
- LAFC Faces the Houston Dynamo Tomorrow at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Real Salt Lake Travels to San Jose in Vital Western Conference Clash - Real Salt Lake
- Inter Miami CF to Open Stadium to Limited Number of Season Ticket Members on November 8 - Inter Miami CF
- Minnesota United FC vs. Colorado Rapids Preview - Minnesota United FC
- FanDuel Group and D.C. United Announce Exclusive, Long-Term Partnership - D.C. United
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: October 24, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at New York Red Bulls - New England Revolution
- Storylines: City vs. Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Inter Miami CF to Visit FC Dallas on Wednesday - Inter Miami CF
- Ball Arena to Serve as Voting Site During General Election - Colorado Rapids
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs Vancouver Whitecaps FC - October 27, 2020 - Seattle Sounders FC
- #FCDvMIA: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City Returns Home to Face Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Sporting KC Visits FC Cincinnati on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- Match Preview: New York Travels to the Midwest to Face Chicago Fire FC - New York Red Bulls
- Top-Ranked, Top-Scoring Philadelphia to Face League's Best Defense - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- In 2020, the Colorado Rapids Took Steps Toward Future Success
- Minnesota United FC Oust Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: November 22, 2020
- Rapids Look to Carry Momentum from Winning Streak into Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: November 22, 2020