Miguel Pinango Named Eastern League Pitcher Of The Week
A day after tossing the fifth no-hitter in Binghamton Mets history, righthanded pitcher Miguel Pinango was named the Eastern League's Pitcher of the Week for the week ending Sunday.
Sunday, the 23-year-old allowed just four balls to the outfield and had a perfect game through 6 1/3 innings but, after an error, had to settle for a seven-inning no-hitter in the second game of the B-Mets' doubleheader at Portland, becoming the first EL pitcher to toss a no-no this season. Pinango, who retired 21 of the 22 to face him, tied a season high with seven strikeouts in the 7-0 B-Mets win.
Pinango wasn't too shabby in his other outing last week either, allowing one hit over five shutout innings in a no-decision Tuesday at Trenton. That outing was cut short by a nearly 2 ½-hour rain delay in the top of the sixth. Miguel, who walked a batter in that game, retired 14 of the 16 to face him, striking out three in a 3-2 B-Mets victory.
For the week, Pinango retired 35 of the 38 he faced, yielding just one hit over 12 shutout innings. The St. Teresa, Venezuela native is the third B-Met to receive one of the EL's weekly awards this season. Lefthanded pitcher William Collazo was named EL Pitcher of the Week twice before his call-up to AAA Norfolk and outfielder Jorge Padilla was named the EL's Player of the Week in the second week of the season.
Tonight, the Binghamton Mets start a seven-game homestand with the first of three against the New Hampshire Fisher Cats before the Harrisburg Senators come to NYSEG Stadium for four. Every game of the homestand is scheduled to start at 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 24, 2006
- Home runs help Baysox destroy Defenders, 10-1 - Bowie Baysox
- B-Mets defeat New Hampshire 7-5, Fisher Cats drop to 0-7 at NYSEG Stadium - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- B-Mets' offense leads way to win over Fisher Cats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Thunder rally in ninth for 6-5 win - Trenton Thunder
- Hall's grand slam helps Baysox destroy Defenders, 10-1 - Bowie Baysox
- Defenders take loss in tough homecoming against Bowie 10-1 - Connecticut Defenders
- Curve shutout Senators 2-0, Perez sets record - Altoona Curve
- Sea Dogs top Reading 5-3 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Tuesday's Adam West appearance at BCB to be rescheduled - Altoona Curve
- Miguel Pinango Named Eastern League Pitcher Of The Week - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Eastern League announces weekly award winners - EL
- Dorta Back, Yepez to Potomac - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.