Curve shutout Senators 2-0, Perez sets record
ALTOONA - Thanks to dominant work by starting pitcher Jason Roach, and relievers Franklin Perez and Brandon Knight, the Altoona Curve shutout the Harrisburg Senators Monday night, 2-0 at Blair County Ballpark. After Roach pitched seven lights-out innings, Perez pitched a scoreless eighth to set the franchise record for the longest scoreless streak by a pitcher at 21 1/3 innings. The right-hander has not allowed a run since June 13th.
With a little help, the Curve built an early 1-0 lead. After an error by Senator first-baseman Josh Whitesell, which should have been an inning-ending double play, Brett Roneberg drove in Brandon Chaves from second base with an RBI single to left field. The single extended Roneberg's current hitting streak to a team-high six games.
Pinch-hitter Rafael Alvarez, drove in a run in the seventh to add an insurance run for Altoona. Taber Lee, who had stole second base after walking, scored from second on Alvarez's single to right field.
Roach won his fifth decision in a row Monday night after pitching six shutout innings. He was lights out all night long, allowing only six hits while striking out four and walking none.
The Senators' best chance to score was in the fifth inning after Salomon Manriquez and Seth Bynum connected for back-to-back singles. With runners on the corners and two outs, Roach quickly worked his way out of trouble, forcing leadoff batter Melvin Dorta to ground out back to the mound, ending the threat.
Brandon Knight pitched a shutout ninth for his 20th save of the season. He is tied with Justin Pope of Trenton for the league lead.
Harrisburg starter Justin Echols picked up the loss for the Senators after pitching six-plus innings, allowing two runs on five hits. The right-hander walked two and struck out three.
With the loss, the Senators fall to seven games behind the Curve for the second and final playoff spot in the Eastern League Southern Division.
Altoona and Harrisburg will continue their three-game set tomorrow evening at 7:05 p.m. Taking the mound for the Curve will be southpaw Shane Youman (7-2), who currently leads the Eastern League with a 1.43 ERA. Youman will face Senator left-hander David Maust (5-8, 5.23)
The Curve announced Monday that Adam West (Batman) will not making his scheduled Curve Retro Celebrity Series appearance during Tuesday's 7:05 p.m. game at Blair County Ballpark due to personal reasons. The Curve are currently working with Mr. West to reschedule his visit to Blair County Ballpark for a date during the month of August and the club will announce that date once it is mutually agreed upon by the two parties.
West was first scheduled to appear at Blair County Ballpark on Tuesday, May 23rd, but that appearance had to be rescheduled for July 25th. As a result, fans holding unused tickets for the games of Tuesday, May 23rd or Tuesday, July 25th can exchange their tickets ONLY for the soon-to-be-announced rescheduled date.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 24, 2006
- Home runs help Baysox destroy Defenders, 10-1 - Bowie Baysox
- B-Mets defeat New Hampshire 7-5, Fisher Cats drop to 0-7 at NYSEG Stadium - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- B-Mets' offense leads way to win over Fisher Cats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Thunder rally in ninth for 6-5 win - Trenton Thunder
- Hall's grand slam helps Baysox destroy Defenders, 10-1 - Bowie Baysox
- Defenders take loss in tough homecoming against Bowie 10-1 - Connecticut Defenders
- Curve shutout Senators 2-0, Perez sets record - Altoona Curve
- Sea Dogs top Reading 5-3 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Tuesday's Adam West appearance at BCB to be rescheduled - Altoona Curve
- Miguel Pinango Named Eastern League Pitcher Of The Week - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Eastern League announces weekly award winners - EL
- Dorta Back, Yepez to Potomac - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Altoona Curve Stories
- Minor League Baseball Cancels 2020 Season
- Pirates Partner with Curve for Alternate Training Site
- Curve Set Attendance Policies, Entertainment for July 4 Fireworks
- Curve Offering Ballpark Dining Thursday, Happy Hour on Friday
- Curve to Host Fourth of July Fireworks at PNG Field