Defenders take loss in tough homecoming against Bowie 10-1
For the fourth game in a row, the Defenders pitching staff was touched up for 1st inning runs. Four Baysox crossed the plate in the 1st frame for the Baysox on their way to a 10-1 victory over the Defenders.
Chris Begg had his worst outing since his May 22nd start against New Hampshire in which he retired only three batters. Monday night he was victimized early on a couple of balls that squeeked their way through the infield, which put two runners on base for Noah Hall who took Begg deep for his eighth home run of the year. This made the score 4-0. In the 3rd inning, a Leo Daigel single made it 5-0 in favor of Bowie.
After two more Bowie runs in the top of the 4th inning, the Defenders finally got on the board with a Travis Ishikawa RBI single, but that was all the offense they would manage against James Johnson and the Bowie Baysox. Johnson pitched well, but had some sparkling defense played behind him, especially by third baseman Bryan Bass who played a phenomenal hot corner. The Baysox tacked three more runs on the Defenders, two of which were charged to Chris Begg on their way to a 10-1 win.
On Tuesday the Defenders will send right-hander Garrett Broshuis (4-8) to the mound against southpaw Eric DuBose (4-1) in an effort to avoid losing ten straight games for the first time in franchise history. The first pitch is scheduled for 7:05.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 24, 2006
- Home runs help Baysox destroy Defenders, 10-1 - Bowie Baysox
- B-Mets defeat New Hampshire 7-5, Fisher Cats drop to 0-7 at NYSEG Stadium - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- B-Mets' offense leads way to win over Fisher Cats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Thunder rally in ninth for 6-5 win - Trenton Thunder
- Hall's grand slam helps Baysox destroy Defenders, 10-1 - Bowie Baysox
- Defenders take loss in tough homecoming against Bowie 10-1 - Connecticut Defenders
- Curve shutout Senators 2-0, Perez sets record - Altoona Curve
- Sea Dogs top Reading 5-3 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Tuesday's Adam West appearance at BCB to be rescheduled - Altoona Curve
- Miguel Pinango Named Eastern League Pitcher Of The Week - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Eastern League announces weekly award winners - EL
- Dorta Back, Yepez to Potomac - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.