B-Mets' offense leads way to win over Fisher Cats
The Binghamton Mets scored seven runs for the fifth consecutive game, helping them to a 7-4 win over the New Hampshire Fisher Cats in the series opener at NYSEG Stadium Monday. Binghamton's won five in a row and 17 of their last 22.
After New Hampshire (45-57) went ahead on Dustin Majewki's leadoff homer in the first, the B-Mets answered in the bottom of the inning. Once Jesse Litsch hit Chase Lambin with a pitch, Jorge Padilla singled and moved to second when Lambin was caught in a rundown. Michel Abreu followed with a double to right, scoring Padilla with the tying run. After Caligiuri singled Abreu to third, Carlos Gomez reached on an infield single that brought home Abreu and put Binghamton on top 2-1.
The B-Mets (51-49) added to their lead with a three-run third. Abreu and Caligiuri led off the inning with back-to-back singles before Gomez scored them both with a triple to center off Litsch (1-3). Ambiorix Concepcion then plated Gomez with a sacrifice fly for a 5-1 B-Mets lead.
The Fisher Cats got within 5-3 on Adam Lind's homer and Danny Solano's RBI single off Michael Devaney (2-0) in the fourth before David Smith hit into a fielder's choice that scored Curtis Thigpen in the fifth and pulled New Hampshire within a run.
Corey Ragsdale accounted for the B-Mets' final two tallies, driving in Gomez with a two-out single in the fifth and homering with two out in the seventh, increasing Binghamton's lead to 7-4.
Henry Owens worked around an RBI double by Curtis Thigpen in the ninth to pick up his 14th save in as many chances.
Tuesday, the B-Mets play the second game of their three-game series against the New Hampshire Fisher Cats. Miguel Perez (4-4, 4.37) will start for Binghamton against Mike MacDonald (8-6, 3.93) of New Hampshire. The first pitch is slated for 7:00 at NYSEG Stadium with radio broadcast starting at 6:45 on Newsradio 1290 WNBF.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 24, 2006
- Home runs help Baysox destroy Defenders, 10-1 - Bowie Baysox
- B-Mets defeat New Hampshire 7-5, Fisher Cats drop to 0-7 at NYSEG Stadium - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- B-Mets' offense leads way to win over Fisher Cats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Thunder rally in ninth for 6-5 win - Trenton Thunder
- Hall's grand slam helps Baysox destroy Defenders, 10-1 - Bowie Baysox
- Defenders take loss in tough homecoming against Bowie 10-1 - Connecticut Defenders
- Curve shutout Senators 2-0, Perez sets record - Altoona Curve
- Sea Dogs top Reading 5-3 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Tuesday's Adam West appearance at BCB to be rescheduled - Altoona Curve
- Miguel Pinango Named Eastern League Pitcher Of The Week - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Eastern League announces weekly award winners - EL
- Dorta Back, Yepez to Potomac - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Binghamton Rumble Ponies Stories
- All-Star Game Tickets Go on Sale Tuesday October 15
- Former Binghamton Mets General Manager Bill Terlecky Passes Away
- Mets Announce 2019 Minor League Awards Announced, Includes Three Rumble Ponies
- Rumble Ponies Win Season Finale, Take Three of Four from Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #140: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (31-44, 66-73) vs. Hartford Yard Goats (36-35, 73-65) - 1:05 PM