McMichael Named to 2020-21 AHL All-Rookie Team
(Springfield, MA) -The American Hockey League announced the 2020-21 AHL All-Rookie Team today, as voted by coaches, players, and media in each of the league's 28 active member cities. Selected was Hershey Bears center Connor McMichael, making him the first forward in franchise history to be named to the AHL's All-Rookie team.
McMichael, 20, finished first on Hershey in scoring, registering 27 points (14g, 13a) in 33 games during his rookie season. He was the first rookie to lead the Bears in scoring since Craig Fisher collected a team-best 79 points in 77 games during the 1990-91 campaign. McMichael's accomplishments this season included tallying an AHL-best eight game-winning goals, collecting his first professional hat trick on Feb. 20 versus Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, and earning CCM/AHL Player of the Week honors after tallying six points over the final two games of the season.
In addition to his strong campaign in Hershey, McMichael also made his NHL debut with the Capitals this season, appearing in one game, and captured a silver medal with Canada at the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship. He was Washington's first-round selection, 25th overall, in the 2019 NHL Draft.
McMichael is the first forward in franchise history to be named to the AHL's All-Rookie Team, and only the fourth Bear all-time to earn this distinction. He joins Mike Gaul (1997-98), Mike Green (2005-06), and John Carlson (2009-10) as Hershey's representatives on the AHL's All-Rookie Team, which started in 1996-97.
The complete 2020-21 AHL All-Rookie team is as follows:
2020-21 AHL All-Rookie Team
Goaltender - Logan Thompson, Henderson Silver Knights (23gp, 16-6-1, 1.96gaa, .943sv%, 2so)
Defenseman - Calen Addison, Iowa Wild (31gp, 6+16=22pts., +7)
Defenseman - Max Gildon, Bakersfield Condors (32gp, 2+17=19pts., +16)
Forward - Riley Damiani, Texas Stars (36gp, 11+25=36pts., +3, 4 PPG, 2 GWG)
Forward - Connor McMichael, Hershey Bears (33gp, 14+13'pts., +6, 6 PPG, 8 GWG)
Forward - Phil Tomasino, Chicago Wolves (29gp, 13+19=32pts., +20, 4 PPG, 2 GWG)
Each player will receive a custom-designed crystal award in recognition of his selection to the 2020-21 AHL All-Rookie Team.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 25, 2021
- American Hockey League Announces Schedule for Pacific Division Finals - Henderson Silver Knights
- Pacific Division Finals Schedule Set; Game 1 Wednesday at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Henderson, Bakersfield to Battle in AHL's Pacific Division Finals - AHL
- Riley Damiani Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Texas Stars
- Wolves' Tomasino Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Chicago Wolves
- Condors Max Gildon Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Bakersfield Condors
- Logan Thompson Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Henderson Silver Knights
- McMichael Named to 2020-21 AHL All-Rookie Team - Hershey Bears
- 2020-21 American Hockey League All-Rookie Team Named - AHL
- Jordy Bellerive "Made a Big Jump" in Second Season - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gulls Eliminated in OT - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Scott Allen Named Head Coach of Hershey Bears, Steve Bergin Hired as Assistant Coach
- Bears Sign Forward Yanick Turcotte to AHL Contract
- Capitals Add Veteran Defenders Dylan McIlrath and Matt Irwin, Sign Shepard, Re-Sign Johansen
- Captain Matt Moulson Returns for Third Season with Bears
- Hershey Bears Announce Schedule for 2021-22 Season