Mavericks Edge Oilers for 2-1 Series Lead
INDEPENDENCE, MO - Kansas City Mavericks (2-0-1) forward Jared VanWormer broke a 2-2 tie with his second game-winner of the playoffs to give the Mavericks a 3-2 win over the Tulsa Oilers (1-2-0) in Game 3 at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena Wednesday night. Kansas City now leads the best-of-seven series 2-1.
Kansas City scored on two of their three first period power plays, setting the table with a 2-0 lead after 20 minutes. Mark Cooper scored both Mavericks goals, including the opener 1:15 into the game on a rebound in front of the net. Cooper made it 2-0 on the third man-advantage, when he skated into the right circle and snapped a shot over the shoulder of Devin Williams. Both teams registered 15 shots in the opening frame.
The Oilers battled back with two power play goals of their own in the second period to tie the score at 2-2 after 40 minutes. Stephen Perfetto, the hero of Game 2, snapped a shot into the top shelf from the right circle for Tulsa's first goal to cut Kansas City's lead in half. Later in the frame on another man-advantage, Eric Drapluk tied the game with a wrist shot through a screen on a shot from the left circle.
VanWormer lifted a loose puck over the pads of Williams from just outside the crease to put the Mavericks in front with 7:54 left in regulation after an initial shot from the point was tipped on goal. Kansas City hung on to edge the Oilers as Mason McDonald stopped 26 of 28 shots for his second win of the series.
The best-of-seven series continues with Game 4 Friday and Game 5 Saturday at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena at 7:05pm. Catch all the action on the Sports Animal Radio Network, www.tulsaoilers.com or ECHL.TV (away feed), with pregame coverage starting at 6:45pm.
Call 918-632-7825 or visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information on playoff tickets to Games 6 and 7 (if necessary) scheduled for Tuesday, April 23 and Wednesday April 24 at 7:05pm at the BOK Center.
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram , or "Like" us on Facebook for more information about the Tulsa Oilers. 2019-20 season tickets are on sale now by calling the Oilers front office at 918-632-7825. Visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 17, 2019
- Mavericks Edge Oilers for 2-1 Series Lead - Tulsa Oilers
- Power Play Scores for Third Straight Game as K-Wings Fall 4-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Offense Back on Track with Game 3 Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Take Commanding 3-0 Series Lead over Thunder - Manchester Monarchs
- 'Blades Weekly: Division Semifinals Series with IceMen Shifts to Jacksonville - Florida Everblades
- Bajkov Returned from AHL's Springfield Thunderbirds - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - April 17 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 3 vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Athletic Knit Named "Exclusive Jersey Provider of the ECHL" - ECHL
- Game Day: Playoff Hockey Returns to Wings Event Center - Kalamazoo Wings
- O'Brien Scores in Double Overtime, Growlers Lead Series 3-0 - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.