Mavericks Drop Second of the Weekend
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Missouri Mavericks struck for a pair of early goals against the Allen Americans on Saturday night at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena, but ultimately couldn't hang on for the win. The 4-2 loss moved the Mavericks' record to 26-23-7 on the season.
The Mavericks took last night's script and virtually flipped it on Allen by racing out to a 2-0 first period lead. Before the scoring started, Jacob Doty and Derek Mathers squared off at center ice two seconds into the game. Energized by the tilt, the Mavericks drew the first penalty of the game and promptly scored on the power play. Darren Nowick sent a rebound top shelf past Allen goalie Jamie Murray for his 21st goal of the season.
Kevin Tansey, who accounted for Missouri's goal on Friday night, doubled the Mavericks' lead just before the first was halfway over. He finished off a 3-on-2 rush with Rocco Carzo and Radoslav Illo by poking a puck through the crease and across the line for his 11th of the season.
Missouri limited Allen to four first-period shots, while collecting 13 of its own, and Josh Robinson was there to deny each bid.
At the start of the second period, Allen connected on back-to-back shots to draw even with the Mavericks. David Makowski put the visitors on the board at 2:09 then set up Spencer Asuchak's tying goal at 2:35.
Missouri tested Murray with 10 shots in the second, but was unable to retake the lead.
The third period featured a bevy of scoring chances for the Mavericks as they out-shot the Americans 10-7 and earned three power play opportunities. Murray, however, was there to stop each shot he faced and kept the Mavericks from regaining the lead.
Tanner Eberle scored the eventual game-winning goal, unassisted, on a wraparound with 8:08 gone in the third. Gary Steffes added a tip-in goal in the waning minutes to provide a margin of insurance.
Robinson shouldered the loss in a 19-save effort. The Mavericks went 1-for-8 on the power play and 5-for-5 on the penalty kill.
Mark your calendar! The Mavericks are back in action on home ice Sunday, March 5 at 4:05 p.m. to face the Tulsa Oilers! Join the Mavericks for Faith and Family Day featuring a postgame skate with the team and a free concert from 9th Hour! There will also be a youth jersey giveaway to the first 750 fans age 14 and under. Groups of 15 or more are eligible for discounted tickets and preferred seating based on availability. Call the Mavericks at 816-252-7825 to book your group outing .
About the Missouri Mavericks: The Mavericks are members of the Mountain Division of the Western Conference of the ECHL - the Premier âAA' Hockey League in North America. Founded in 2009, the Mavericks are entering their eighth season in team history at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. The Mavericks are the defending Brabham Cup winners after posting a league-leading record of 52-15-5 during the 2015-16 ECHL season, and have been honored with multiple community and league awards including the Harry S. Truman Special Community Service Recognition Award, the Bud Poile Governors' Cup (CHL), and the CHL Franchise of the Year Award for four consecutive seasons.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 5, 2017
- Royals Close out Weekend with Close Win over Norfolk, 2-1 - Reading Royals
- Mavericks Triple up Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Pacan Nets Goal #34 as Beast Drop Nailbiter to Walleye - Brampton Beast
- Komets Edge Nailers, 2-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Goaltenders Shine as Dekanich's Royals Hold off Anderson's Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Mavericks Defeat Oilers in Missouri - Tulsa Oilers
- Taylor Sets Franchise ECHL Points Record During Thumping - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Transactions - March 5 - ECHL
- Faille Fiesta Powers Solar Bears to 5-3 Win over Greenville - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers at Komets Game Day Snap Shot, March 5 - Wheeling Nailers
- Oilers Hold off Late Thunder Rally - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Game Preview - March 5 vs. Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Notes: Reading Royals V Norfolk Admirals - Reading Royals
- Martin, Grizzlies Hold off Aces 5-4 Saturday - Alaska Aces
- STEELHEADS: Rapid City Sweep - Steelheads Finish Road Trip 7-1-0 - Idaho Steelheads
- Idaho Takes Win with Controversy - Rapid City Rush
- Eagles Raise $53,233 for Chelbi Holt, but Fall to Stingrays 4-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Stingrays End Eagles' Streak with 4-1 Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gagne, Owsley Propel Wichita to Shootout Win vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Royals Claim Dramatic Overtime Win against Manchester, 2-1 - Reading Royals
- Mallards Roll Past Fuel 6-1 - Quad City Mallards
- Recap: Rumpel Stellar Again as Cyclones Sweep Thunder - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mallards Score Six Straight to Topple Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Peters Perfect as Everblades Shutout Gladiators 4-0 - Florida Everblades
- GAME REPORT: Thunder Top Oilers in Shootout - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Drop Second of the Weekend - Kansas City Mavericks
- Elmira Earns Victory in Rough Battle at Scope - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Recap: Wings Heavily Outshoot Walleye But Get Shutout on Road - Kalamazoo Wings
- Komets Come Back to Stun Nailers, 4-3 - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Edge Monarchs in Overtime, 2-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- GAME RECAP: Everblades Shutout Atlanta 4-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Walleye Are In - Toledo Walleye
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.