Matt Turner and Sebastian Lletget Named to United States Men's National Team Roster for World Cup Qualifying Matches
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - New England Revolution goalkeeper Matt Turner and midfielder Sebastian Lletget have been named to the United States Men's National Team roster for three upcoming 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying matches. The duo, who have been training with the national team this month in U.S. Soccer's January Preparation Camp, will take on El Salvador in Columbus, Ohio on Thursday, January 27 (7:00 p.m. ET - ESPN2, TUDN, UniMas), Canada in Hamilton, Ontario on Sunday, January 30 (3:00 p.m. ET - Paramount+, NBC Universo), and Honduras in St. Paul, Minnesota on Wednesday, February 2 (7:30 p.m. ET - FS1, TUDN, Univision).
Turner, 27, started 13 times for the United States in 2021, posting a 10-1-2 record and nine shutouts. His 13 caps in 2021 are the most by a USMNT goalkeeper in a debut year, while his nine shutouts are a new USMNT record for a calendar year. A native of Park Ridge, N.J., Turner has started five World Cup Qualifiers during the current campaign in addition to six starts in the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup, in which he was named the tournament's Best Goalkeeper. The 2021 Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year and MLS Best XI selection was named a finalist for U.S. Soccer Male Player of the Year. In league play, Turner led the Revolution to an MLS single-single record 73 points and the club's first Supporters' Shield title, claiming a club record 17 wins on the year.
Lletget, 29, joined New England via trade from the LA Galaxy in December 2021 and has been capped 33 times by the United States Men's National Team since his debut for the Stars and Stripes under Bruce Arena in 2017. The San Francisco, Calif. native has scored eight international goals at the senior level, including four goals in 16 caps throughout 2021, helping the U.S. capture the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup title. Lletget most recently suited up for the United States with a 90-minute performance against Panama on Oct. 10.
With six matches remaining, the USMNT sits in second place in the Octagonal standings with 15 points and a 4-1-3 record. The top three teams in the group earn automatic qualification for the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
Here is Gregg Berhalter's complete U.S. Men's National Team roster for November's FIFA World Cup Qualifiers:
GOALKEEPERS (4): Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 9/0), Gabriel Slonina (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 26/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 13/0)
DEFENDERS (9): Reggie Cannon (Boavista/POR; 22/1), Sergiño Dest (Barcelona/ESP; 15/2), Brooks Lennon (Atlanta United; 1/0), Mark McKenzie (Genk/BEL; 8/0), Chris Richards (Hoffenheim/GER; 6/0), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 19/1), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United; 15/3), DeAndre Yedlin (Galatasaray/TUR; 71/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 23/2)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Kellyn Acosta (LAFC; 45/2), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 22/1), Luca de la Torre (Heracles/NED; 4/0), Sebastian Lletget (New England Revolution; 33/8), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 28/8), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 11/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 30/0)
FORWARDS (8): Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg/AUT; 15/5), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 42/8), Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas; 5/2), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders; 40/10), Ricardo Pepi (Augsburg/GER; 7/3), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 42/17), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 18/2), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew; 66/14)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 21, 2022
- Jordan Morris and Cristian Roldan Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for Upcoming World Cup Qualifiers - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Signs Free Agent Goalkeeper John Mccarthy - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Goalkeeper Jeff Attinella Announces Retirement - Portland Timbers
- Romell Quioto Selected by Honduras - Club de Foot Montreal
- LA Galaxy Name Mike Muñoz Director of Methodology and Development - LA Galaxy
- Inter Miami CF to Face Peruvian Side Club Universitario de Deportes on January 26 at DRV PNK Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Walker Zimmerman Named to the Final United States Men's National Team World Cup Qualifying Roster - Nashville SC
- Goalkeeper Gabriel Slonina Called to U.S. Men's National Team for FIFA World Cup Qualifying Matches - Chicago Fire FC
- Matt Turner and Sebastian Lletget Named to United States Men's National Team Roster for World Cup Qualifying Matches - New England Revolution
- Brooks Lennon and Miles Robinson Named to United States Men's National Team for World Cup Qualifiers - Atlanta United FC
- FC Dallas Homegrown Jesús Ferreira Part of USMNT Roster for Upcoming World Cup Qualifiers - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Acquire Midfielder Mark Delgado from Toronto FC - LA Galaxy
- Toronto FC Acquire $400,000 in 2022 General Allocation Money for Mark Delgado - Toronto FC
- Columbus Crew Signs Defender Will Sands Following Trade with New York City FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Four Timbers Players Called up for International Duty - Portland Timbers
- New York City FC Acquires $50K in General Allocation Money from Columbus Crew in Exchange for Homegrown Priority of Will Sands - New York City FC
- Whitecaps FC Loan Midfielder Janio Bikel to LR Vicenza - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Defender Julian Araujo Called up by Mexican National Team for 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC Re-Signs Forward Fredy Montero - Seattle Sounders FC
- Toronto FC Sign Goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh - Toronto FC
- Timbers Defenders Larrys Mabiala and Dario Zuparic Undergo Successful Athletic Pubalgia Surgeries - Portland Timbers
- Inter Miami CF Hires Martin Paterson as First Team Assistant Coach - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville Soccer Club Re-Signs Veteran Goalkeeper Bryan Meredith - Nashville SC
- Machop Chol Receives South Sudan National Team Call-Up - Atlanta United FC
- FC Dallas Loans Homegrown Justin Che to TSG 1899 Hoffenheim - FC Dallas
- Columbus Crew Appoints Marc Nicholls as Technical Director - Columbus Crew SC
- Toronto FC Sign Forward Deandre Kerr - Toronto FC
- Charlotte FC and Radio One Announce Club's First-Ever Radio Partnership - Charlotte FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- Revolution Home vs. Philadelphia Union on Saturday
- Revolution Fall to NYCFC in Extra Time, 0-1, in U.S. Open Cup
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: May 25, 2022
- Revolution Visit New York City FC in Round of 16
- New England Revolution Sign Midfielder Esmir Bajraktarević as Homegrown Player