Columbus Crew Signs Defender Will Sands Following Trade with New York City FC
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew today announced that the Club has signed defender Will Sands through the 2023 season with options for 2024 and 2025. The Crew acquired Sands' MLS Homegrown Priority from New York City FC in exchange for $50,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) for 2022, with potential for additional allocation money should Sands meet certain performance-based incentives.
"Will is a versatile defender and we are excited to have him join the Crew," said Columbus Crew President & General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. "We look forward to seeing the progression of his development within a competitive, professional environment."
Sands represented Georgetown University from 2019-2021, making 52 appearances for the Hoyas while tallying four goals and five assists. At Georgetown, the defender helped his team win the 2019 NCAA College Cup title as well as two Big East Conference Tournaments (2019, 2021) and three Big East regular-season championships (2019, 2020, 2021). On an individual level, he was named to the All-Big East First Team (2021) as well as the All-Big East Third Team (2020).
A U.S. Youth international, Sands featured for the U.S. Men's National Team at the Under-19 and U-17 levels.
Crew players are currently in preseason training camp in Fort Lauderdale, Florida until January 28. With the seasonal bubble currently encompassing the field at Historic Crew Stadium, the Crew will train in-market from February 1-6 at the OhioHealth Performance Center prior to traveling to Charleston, South Carolina, for the second trip of the preseason from February 7-19.
The Black & Gold are set to open the 2022 MLS season by hosting Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Lower.com Field in Opening Match on Saturday, February 26 at 3:30 p.m. ET. Following the home opener, the Crew hits the road and travels to face the San Jose Earthquakes at PayPal Park on March 5 for the first away match of the season. The Crew's full schedule for the 2022 MLS regular season can be found at ColumbusCrew.com.
The 2022 season will be the Black & Gold's 27th in MLS and the first full season at Lower.com Field, located in Astor Park. Fans looking to experience Crew matches have several options to save money, while getting the best seats for marquee matches. Season Ticket Memberships include benefits such as private, member-only events; a 10 percent discount at the Crew Shop; monthly, interest-free payment plans; the ability to purchase discounted parking; pre-sale access to all events at Lower.com Field, Historic Crew Stadium and FirstEnergy Stadium; and a dedicated account manager and service representative.
Fans can also choose between various packages that offer great benefits and ticket discounts, including Nine-Match Ticket Plans, Five-Match Ticket Plans, and Group Ticket Plans which are on sale now. Fans can additionally purchase single-match tickets, which are now available.
Supporters interested in securing their seat for the 2022 season can call 614-447-2739, visit columbuscrew.com/tickets or email email@example.com to get connected with a Ticket Sales Representative.
The Crew's current roster stands at 27 players in advance of the 2022 MLS campaign. Listed alphabetically by position:
Goalkeepers (4): Evan Bush, Eloy Room, Patrick Schulte, Brady Scott
Defenders (6): Jalil Anibaba, Jonathan Mensah, Steven Moreira, Jake Morris, Will Sands, Josh Williams
Midfielders (15): Artur, Sebastian Berhalter, Luis Diaz, Derrick Etienne Jr., Marlon Hairston, Perry Kitchen, Alex Matan, Kevin Molino, Aidan Morris, Darlington Nagbe, Isaiah Parente, Pedro Santos, Yaw Yeboah, Sean Zawadzki, Lucas Zelarayan
Forwards (2): Miguel Berry, Gyasi Zardes
TRANSACTION: Columbus Crew signs defender Will Sands as a Homegrown Player through the 2023 season with options in 2024 and 2025, announced on January 21, 2022. The Crew traded $50,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) for 2022 to New York City FC in exchange for Sands' MLS Homegrown Priority.
Name: Will Sands
Born: July 6, 2000, in Rye, New York
Hometown: Rye, New York
Citizenship: United States
Acquired: Signed as a Homegrown Player on January 21, 2022.
Previous Experience: Georgetown University (2019-2021)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 21, 2022
- Jordan Morris and Cristian Roldan Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for Upcoming World Cup Qualifiers - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Signs Free Agent Goalkeeper John Mccarthy - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Goalkeeper Jeff Attinella Announces Retirement - Portland Timbers
- Romell Quioto Selected by Honduras - Club de Foot Montreal
- LA Galaxy Name Mike Muñoz Director of Methodology and Development - LA Galaxy
- Inter Miami CF to Face Peruvian Side Club Universitario de Deportes on January 26 at DRV PNK Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Walker Zimmerman Named to the Final United States Men's National Team World Cup Qualifying Roster - Nashville SC
- Goalkeeper Gabriel Slonina Called to U.S. Men's National Team for FIFA World Cup Qualifying Matches - Chicago Fire FC
- Matt Turner and Sebastian Lletget Named to United States Men's National Team Roster for World Cup Qualifying Matches - New England Revolution
- Brooks Lennon and Miles Robinson Named to United States Men's National Team for World Cup Qualifiers - Atlanta United FC
- FC Dallas Homegrown Jesús Ferreira Part of USMNT Roster for Upcoming World Cup Qualifiers - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Acquire Midfielder Mark Delgado from Toronto FC - LA Galaxy
- Toronto FC Acquire $400,000 in 2022 General Allocation Money for Mark Delgado - Toronto FC
- Columbus Crew Signs Defender Will Sands Following Trade with New York City FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Four Timbers Players Called up for International Duty - Portland Timbers
- New York City FC Acquires $50K in General Allocation Money from Columbus Crew in Exchange for Homegrown Priority of Will Sands - New York City FC
- Whitecaps FC Loan Midfielder Janio Bikel to LR Vicenza - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Defender Julian Araujo Called up by Mexican National Team for 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC Re-Signs Forward Fredy Montero - Seattle Sounders FC
- Toronto FC Sign Goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh - Toronto FC
- Timbers Defenders Larrys Mabiala and Dario Zuparic Undergo Successful Athletic Pubalgia Surgeries - Portland Timbers
- Inter Miami CF Hires Martin Paterson as First Team Assistant Coach - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville Soccer Club Re-Signs Veteran Goalkeeper Bryan Meredith - Nashville SC
- Machop Chol Receives South Sudan National Team Call-Up - Atlanta United FC
- FC Dallas Loans Homegrown Justin Che to TSG 1899 Hoffenheim - FC Dallas
- Columbus Crew Appoints Marc Nicholls as Technical Director - Columbus Crew SC
- Toronto FC Sign Forward Deandre Kerr - Toronto FC
- Charlotte FC and Radio One Announce Club's First-Ever Radio Partnership - Charlotte FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew Signs Jacen Russell-Rowe on a Short-Term Loan Agreement from Columbus Crew 2
- Columbus Crew Hosts LAFC at Lower.com Field Today
- Columbus Crew to Celebrate "On Our Sleeves" Day at Lower.com Field on May 21
- Columbus Crew Inspires Latest Mural Series in Short North Arts District
- Lower.com Field to Host Columbus Crew and Columbus Crew 2 Doubleheader this Saturday, May 21