Four Timbers Players Called up for International Duty
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers announced today that four players have been called up by their respective countries for international matches in January and February. Timbers defender Pablo Bonilla will represent Venezuela, midfielder Yimmi Chara will play for Colombia and midfielder Cristhian Paredes is set to join Paraguay; all will play Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers. Timbers defender Bill Tuiloma will join New Zealand for a pair of friendly matches.
Bonilla, 22, joins Venezuela to face Bolivia (Jan. 28) in Barinas, Venezuela, and Uruguay (Feb. 1) in Montevideo, Uruguay. The defender joins the senior team for the second time in his career after joining the senior team for training camp and friendlies in October of 2021. Bonilla has been part of the Venezuelan U-20's and U-23's since 2019 and started in three consecutive appearances for Venezuela in the 2020 CONMEBOL Pre-Olympic Tournament.
Chara, 30, will represent Colombia as they square off with Peru (Jan. 28) in Barranquilla, Colombia and Argentina (Feb. 1) in Cordoba, Argentina. Chara has made 15 appearances for Colombia, tallying one goal and an assist since making his debut on Oct. 10, 2014. Making four appearances in 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying, Chara scored the game-winning goal and the first of his international career, in a 2-1 victory against Venezuela on Sept. 7, 2018. In 2021, Chara and Colombia earned third place in the 2021 Copa America after defeating Perú on July 9, 2021, making four appearances throughout the tournament. Most recently, Chara logged a full 90-minute performance in the 2-1 victory over Honduras on Jan. 16.
Paredes, 23, will represent Paraguay as they face Uruguay (Jan. 27) in Asuncion, Paraguay, and Brazil (Feb.1) in Minas Gerais, Brazil. The midfielder joins the Paraguayan senior team for the first time since 2018. Paredes started in two appearances with the U-23 team against Colombia in a friendly match on Dec. 21, 2019, and against Argentina on Jan. 7, 2020. Paredes has been capped six times for Paraguay's senior men's national team.
After scoring his first international career goal on Oct. 11, 2021, Tuiloma and New Zealand will take on Jordan (Jan. 28) in Abu Dhabi and Uzbekistan (Feb. 1) in Dubai. Tuiloma re-joins New Zealand after making two appearances in a pair of friendlies in 2021. Tuiloma, 26, has been part of New Zealand's U-17, U-20 and U-23 teams before making his senior debut on Oct. 15, 2013, at the age of 18. The Beach Haven, New Zealand native has made 27 appearances for All Whites.
WHAT WHEN WHO WHERE
Paraguay vs. Uruguay (World Cup Qualifier) Jan. 27
3 p.m. (Pacific) Cristhian Paredes (Paraguay) Estadio General Pablo Rojas - Asunción, Paraguay
Colombia vs. Peru (World Cup Qualifier) Jan. 28 1 p.m. (Pacific) Yimmi Chara (Colombia) Estadio Metropolitano Roberto Melendez - Barranquilla, Colombia
Venezuela vs. Bolivia (World Cup Qualifier) Jan. 28 2 p.m. (Pacific) Pablo Bonilla (Venezuela) Estadio Agustin Tovar - Barinas, Venezuela
New Zealand vs. Jordan (friendly match) Jan. 28 7 a.m. (Pacific) Bill Tuiloma (New Zealand) New York University Stadium - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Colombia vs. Argentina (World Cup Qualifier) Feb. 1 3:30 p.m. (Pacific) Yimmi Chara (Colombia) Estadio Mario Alberto Kempes - Cordoba, Argentina
Venezuela vs. Uruguay (World Cup Qualifier) Feb. 1 3 p.m. (Pacific) Pablo Bonilla (Venezuela) Estadio Centenario - Montevideo, Uruguay
Paraguay vs. Brazil (World Cup Qualifier) Feb. 1 4:30 p.m. (Pacific) Cristhian Paredes (Paraguay) Estadio Mineirão - Minas Gerais, Brazil
New Zealand vs. Uzbekistan (friendly match) Feb. 1 7 a.m. (Pacific) Bill Tuiloma (New Zealand) The Sevens Stadium - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 21, 2022
- Jordan Morris and Cristian Roldan Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for Upcoming World Cup Qualifiers - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Signs Free Agent Goalkeeper John Mccarthy - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Goalkeeper Jeff Attinella Announces Retirement - Portland Timbers
- Romell Quioto Selected by Honduras - Club de Foot Montreal
- LA Galaxy Name Mike Muñoz Director of Methodology and Development - LA Galaxy
- Inter Miami CF to Face Peruvian Side Club Universitario de Deportes on January 26 at DRV PNK Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Walker Zimmerman Named to the Final United States Men's National Team World Cup Qualifying Roster - Nashville SC
- Goalkeeper Gabriel Slonina Called to U.S. Men's National Team for FIFA World Cup Qualifying Matches - Chicago Fire FC
- Matt Turner and Sebastian Lletget Named to United States Men's National Team Roster for World Cup Qualifying Matches - New England Revolution
- Brooks Lennon and Miles Robinson Named to United States Men's National Team for World Cup Qualifiers - Atlanta United FC
- FC Dallas Homegrown Jesús Ferreira Part of USMNT Roster for Upcoming World Cup Qualifiers - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Acquire Midfielder Mark Delgado from Toronto FC - LA Galaxy
- Toronto FC Acquire $400,000 in 2022 General Allocation Money for Mark Delgado - Toronto FC
- Columbus Crew Signs Defender Will Sands Following Trade with New York City FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Four Timbers Players Called up for International Duty - Portland Timbers
- New York City FC Acquires $50K in General Allocation Money from Columbus Crew in Exchange for Homegrown Priority of Will Sands - New York City FC
- Whitecaps FC Loan Midfielder Janio Bikel to LR Vicenza - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Defender Julian Araujo Called up by Mexican National Team for 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC Re-Signs Forward Fredy Montero - Seattle Sounders FC
- Toronto FC Sign Goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh - Toronto FC
- Timbers Defenders Larrys Mabiala and Dario Zuparic Undergo Successful Athletic Pubalgia Surgeries - Portland Timbers
- Inter Miami CF Hires Martin Paterson as First Team Assistant Coach - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville Soccer Club Re-Signs Veteran Goalkeeper Bryan Meredith - Nashville SC
- Machop Chol Receives South Sudan National Team Call-Up - Atlanta United FC
- FC Dallas Loans Homegrown Justin Che to TSG 1899 Hoffenheim - FC Dallas
- Columbus Crew Appoints Marc Nicholls as Technical Director - Columbus Crew SC
- Toronto FC Sign Forward Deandre Kerr - Toronto FC
- Charlotte FC and Radio One Announce Club's First-Ever Radio Partnership - Charlotte FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Kickoff Time Changed for Timbers Road Match against Sporting Kansas City on August 21
- Bill Tuiloma Called up to New Zealand Men's National Team for Final FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Qualifier
- Timbers Drop 2-0 Result against Philadelphia Union at Providence Park
- Timbers Drop 3-2 Result against San Jose Earthquakes on the Road
- Timbers Take on San Jose Earthquakes at PayPal Park Tonight