Sounders FC Re-Signs Forward Fredy Montero
SEATTLE, WASH. - Sounders FC today announced that it has re-signed forward Fredy Montero to a one-year contract, with a club option for 2023. The club's all-time leading goal-scorer with 68 goals across all competitions, Montero enters his 18th professional season and sixth with the Rave Green, following a return to Seattle last season and prolific four-year stint with organization from 2009-2012.
"Fredy continues to be a valuable player for Sounders FC after finishing second on the club in scoring last season," said Sounders FC General Manager & President of Soccer Garth Lagerwey. "A productive player and a familiar face for fans, we are happy to bring him back for the 2022 season."
The Colombian returned to Seattle last season following an eight-year absence, finishing the regular season second on the team with seven goals and tied for second with six assists in 29 appearances (15 starts), in addition to one goal in three 2021 Leagues Cup appearances. Montero holds Sounders FC's regular-season and all-competitions scoring records with 54 and 68 goals, respectively. His 40 regular-season assists rank second in club history to Nicolás Lodeiro.
"Fredy has been a very important member of our organization for a long time," said Sounders FC Head Coach Brian Schmetzer. "We're excited that he'll continue his illustrious career in Seattle, and he gives us another reliable, veteran piece in the attack."
Montero began his MLS career in Seattle from 2009-2012, winning Sounders FC's Golden Boot each of the club's first three MLS seasons and accumulating 47 goals and 34 assists in regular-season play. Following the 2012 season, Montero went on a pair of loan spells with Colombia's Millonarios and Portugal's Sporting CP, the latter of which he joined on a permanent transfer in January of 2014. Montero scored 27 goals across three seasons in Portugal before moving to Chinese club Tianjin Tigers FC, where he tallied nine goals in the 2016 campaign. After a 13-goal, six-assist season while on loan with Vancouver in 2017, Montero played one more season with Sporting CP in 2018 before returning to Whitecaps FC for the 2019 and 2020 seasons.
"Having Fredy back on our team provides us with even more goal-scoring talent, joining what is already a very dangerous attacking group," said Sounders FC Senior Vice President of Soccer Operations & Sporting Director Craig Waibel. "On top of that, he knows this organization inside and out, so we're pleased to have him back this season."
Prior to joining MLS, Montero began his professional career in 2005 with Deportivo Cali. He finished as the Colombian topflight's leading goal-scorer in 2006 with 13 goals while on loan with Atlético Huila, as well as in 2008 with 16 goals for Cali. The Barranquila native has four caps for the Colombian National Team.
TRANSACTION: Sounders FC re-signs forward Fredy Montero on January 21, 2022.
Full Name: Fredy Montero
Hometown: Barranquilla, Colombia
Date of Birth: July 26, 1987 in Campo de la Cruz, Colombia
Acquired: Re-signed on January 21, 2022
Previous Clubs: Vancouver Whitecaps FC (2017, 2019-2020), Sporting CP (2013-2016, 2018-2019), Tianjin Tigers FC (2016), Millonarios (2013), Seattle Sounders FC (2009-2012), Deportivo Cali (2005-2010), Academia (2005), Atlético Huila (2006-2007)
CURRENT SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC ROSTER
GOALKEEPERS (3): Stefan Cleveland, Stefan Frei, Andrew Thomas
DEFENDERS (7): Yeimar Gómez Andrade, Xavier Arreaga, Abdoulaye Cissoko, Jimmy Medranda, Nouhou, Alex Roldan, Brad Smith
MIDFIELDERS (12): Josh Atencio, Reed Baker-Whiting, Léo Chú, Ethan Dobbelaere, João Paulo, Danny Leyva, Nicolás Lodeiro, Cristian Roldan, Kelyn Rowe, Albert Rusnák, Obed Vargas, Dylan Teves
FORWARDS (6): Samuel Adeniran, Will Bruin, Fredy Montero, Jordan Morris, Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez, Raúl Ruidíaz
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 21, 2022
- Jordan Morris and Cristian Roldan Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for Upcoming World Cup Qualifiers - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Signs Free Agent Goalkeeper John Mccarthy - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Goalkeeper Jeff Attinella Announces Retirement - Portland Timbers
- Romell Quioto Selected by Honduras - Club de Foot Montreal
- LA Galaxy Name Mike Muñoz Director of Methodology and Development - LA Galaxy
- Inter Miami CF to Face Peruvian Side Club Universitario de Deportes on January 26 at DRV PNK Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Walker Zimmerman Named to the Final United States Men's National Team World Cup Qualifying Roster - Nashville SC
- Goalkeeper Gabriel Slonina Called to U.S. Men's National Team for FIFA World Cup Qualifying Matches - Chicago Fire FC
- Matt Turner and Sebastian Lletget Named to United States Men's National Team Roster for World Cup Qualifying Matches - New England Revolution
- Brooks Lennon and Miles Robinson Named to United States Men's National Team for World Cup Qualifiers - Atlanta United FC
- FC Dallas Homegrown Jesús Ferreira Part of USMNT Roster for Upcoming World Cup Qualifiers - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Acquire Midfielder Mark Delgado from Toronto FC - LA Galaxy
- Toronto FC Acquire $400,000 in 2022 General Allocation Money for Mark Delgado - Toronto FC
- Columbus Crew Signs Defender Will Sands Following Trade with New York City FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Four Timbers Players Called up for International Duty - Portland Timbers
- New York City FC Acquires $50K in General Allocation Money from Columbus Crew in Exchange for Homegrown Priority of Will Sands - New York City FC
- Whitecaps FC Loan Midfielder Janio Bikel to LR Vicenza - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Defender Julian Araujo Called up by Mexican National Team for 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC Re-Signs Forward Fredy Montero - Seattle Sounders FC
- Toronto FC Sign Goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh - Toronto FC
- Timbers Defenders Larrys Mabiala and Dario Zuparic Undergo Successful Athletic Pubalgia Surgeries - Portland Timbers
- Inter Miami CF Hires Martin Paterson as First Team Assistant Coach - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville Soccer Club Re-Signs Veteran Goalkeeper Bryan Meredith - Nashville SC
- Machop Chol Receives South Sudan National Team Call-Up - Atlanta United FC
- FC Dallas Loans Homegrown Justin Che to TSG 1899 Hoffenheim - FC Dallas
- Columbus Crew Appoints Marc Nicholls as Technical Director - Columbus Crew SC
- Toronto FC Sign Forward Deandre Kerr - Toronto FC
- Charlotte FC and Radio One Announce Club's First-Ever Radio Partnership - Charlotte FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Gets Back in the Win Column and Rises up the Western Conference Standings with 3-1 Victory over Minnesota
- Sounders FC Returns to MLS Action Sunday against Minnesota United FC at Lumen Field
- Sounders FC Celebrates 50th Anniversary of Title IX this Sunday with Matchday Elements to Honor Women's Soccer in Washington State
- Rave Green Bow out of U.S. Open Cup in Penalty Shootout Loss to San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Hosts the San Jose Earthquakes Wednesday Evening in 2022 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Action at Starfire Stadium