Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Seattle Sounders FC
ATLANTA - Atlanta United returns to action Sunday when it travels to face Seattle Sounders FC at CenturyLink Field. Kickoff is set for 4 p.m. ET and the match will be nationally broadcast on ESPN. For all statistics and media information, please visit our Media Resources page and game notes.
Atlanta and Seattle sit in third place in their respective conferences through 19 league matches. The clubs have played to two draws since Atlanta joined MLS, a scoreless game at Seattle in 2017 and a 1-1 result last season at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in which Josef Martinez scored for Atlanta. Seattle is one of just three teams yet to lose at home in MLS play this season (LAFC, Houston Dynamo) with a 7-0-2 record. Atlanta has been one of the best defenses on the road over the past three seasons, leading the league with 13 clean sheets and allowing the second fewest goals with 61 (Sporting KC, 55).
Martinez has scored two goals in each of his past three league matches, equaling the MLS record for consecutive multi-goal games. He is one of nine players to have accomplished the feat and the only player to have done it twice, while at least two goals on Sunday would leave him alone at the top of the list. The Venezuelan striker leads MLS with 16 multi-goal performances since 2017, seven more than three players tied with nine.
Atlanta defeated Saint Louis FC 2-0 Wednesday night to advance to the semifinals of the U.S. Open Cup for the first time in club history behind goals from Pity Martinez and Josef Martinez. Seattle is coming off a 2-1 win at Columbus Crew SC on July 6. Midfielder Nico Lodeiro scored both goals, including the winning header in stoppage time, on his Copa America return. Lodeiro has scored four goals this season and leads the Sounders with eight assists while Raul Ruidiaz is the team's top scorer with six.
Sunday, July 14 | CenturyLink Field, Seattle, WA |4 p.m. (ET)
Atlanta United (9-7-3, 30 points) vs. Seattle Sounders FC (9-5-5, 32 points)
English TV | ESPN
Spanish Radio | La Mejor 1600 AM
English Radio | 92-9 The Game
3 p.m.: AT&T Countdown to Kickoff (FB Live/Periscope)
3:30 p.m.: The Pre-Game show (92-9 The Game)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 12, 2019
- Dynamo Fall 3-1 to Los Angeles FC - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United Draw New England 2-2 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Revolution and D.C. United Play to 2-2 Draw - New England Revolution
- Impact Hosts Rival Toronto FC Saturday Night at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Unveils Results for Best XI Campaign - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Seattle Sounders FC - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Orlando City SC Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake Hosts the Philadelphia Union Saturday in Sandy - Real Salt Lake
- Fans & Collectors Invited to Kick It at Sneakerhead Night, Presented by WSS on Friday Before Dynamo Host LAFC - Houston Dynamo
- Liga MX and Univision Deportes Announce Sellout for Campeon de Campeones and SuperCopa MX Doubleheader July 14 - LA Galaxy
- #MINvFCD: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Minnesota United FC vs. FC Dallas Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Real Madrid to Hold Public Training at Stade Saputo on July 17 - Montreal Impact
- RSL's Pablo Ruiz, Real Monarchs SLC's Andrew Brody and Josh Heard Join FC Pinzgau Saalfelden on Loan - Real Salt Lake
- Storylines | City vs. Columbus Crew SC - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: First Edition of the 2019 New York Derby Set for Sunday - New York Red Bulls
- Preview: Orlando City Hosts Columbus Crew on Saturday - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Sporting Visits Vancouver on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.